Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subscript Letters WITHOUT using the "Subscript" Character tag

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

Has anyone figured out how to subscript a letter without using a character tag?

I've been able to superscript numbers without character tags by using ANSI codes, but I cannot find ANSI codes that would allow me to subscript letters.

Thank you,

Cameo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

It sounds like your H1/H2 styles use a font with a more limited character set. Try a similar font with more characters available.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using FM8 or later, and if the subscripted glyph exists in Unicode, copy and paste it from the system Character Map, or enter the \u1d64 code in an FM dialog (U+1D64 is subscripted U [ᵤ]) by the way.

If the desired glyph doesn't have a native Unicode instance, some hack would be needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I'm not familiar with how to enter \u1d64 codes in an FM "dialog."

Could you tell me what the steps are?

Best,

Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Hex Input Palette: Insert > Character > Hex Input.

Type in 1d64 and press Enter or Return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find "Insert" anywhere. Below is a screenshot of my FM window. Also, I don't get an "Insert" option when I right click.

Window Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Insert menu is new to Fm 2017. Look under File > Utilities in previous versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it there!

I'm able to use 2099 to create a subscript n, but only in body paragraphs. When I try to add a subscript n to a Head1 or Head2 paragraph, I get a question mark.

Do you know how to get the hex code to work in a Head1 or Head2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your H1/H2 styles use a font with a more limited character set. Try a similar font with more characters available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Times New Roman has the character sets that I need.

The problem that I'm running into now is that my TOC's font is set to Trebuchet MS... I can change the text on the TOC to Times New Roman, and everything looks perfect, but the text reverts back to Trebuchet MS every time I update the book.

Do you know how to edit the font family of a TOC so that it sticks even when the book is updated?

Thank you,

Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds like you haven't used the Paragraph Designer to update the style used in the TOC.

However, your initial post is about sub/superscript, so you might want to mark one of the answers above as correct, and then start a new thread.

Are you new to FrameMaker? If so, modifying paragraph styles and TOC formatting is something I cover in depth in my FrameMaker - Working with Content book, and it might be helpful.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines