Highlighted

Superscripting Trademark & Registered Symbols in Variable

Contributor ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have added Trademark (TM) and Registered (R) symbols in the Variable.

I have also added Suberscript in front of the TM & R symbol to make them appear superscripted text.

However, on the body page, it appears as a regular inline text rather than Superscript.

0.jpg

I like to print them as a Superscript, any response will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

This shows the entire process for a single symbol in a single variable.

symbol2.gif

If you need multiple symbols and words in a single variable, create the character style as shown above then:

symbol3.gif

If you want to tweak the size/position of all of the superscript elements in a document:

symbol4.gif

~Barb 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Superscripting Trademark & Registered Symbols in Variable

Contributor ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have added Trademark (TM) and Registered (R) symbols in the Variable.

I have also added Suberscript in front of the TM & R symbol to make them appear superscripted text.

However, on the body page, it appears as a regular inline text rather than Superscript.

0.jpg

I like to print them as a Superscript, any response will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

This shows the entire process for a single symbol in a single variable.

symbol2.gif

If you need multiple symbols and words in a single variable, create the character style as shown above then:

symbol3.gif

If you want to tweak the size/position of all of the superscript elements in a document:

symbol4.gif

~Barb 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't actually need to do that. The glyphs for trademark, copyright, and registered trademark are part of the regular typeface. You can either copy them from CharacterMap into the Definition field or you can enter the FrameMaker escape codes (see below), which will update to the glpyhs when saved:

• TM: \TM
  • Copyright: \xa9

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linsims,

Appreciate your response.

I did try using \TM, \xa8 and \xa9 and this is the result I got.

0.jpg

As you can see, Trademark is Superscripted and looks good.

However, Registered and Copyright symbols are prined inline.

How can I make them Superscripted?

Interesting thing I noticed. In the Add/Edit Variable pallett, I do notice that they are Superscripted.

00.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue is that while it looks like it's superscripted in the Description field, those glyphs are actually full-size instead of being superscripted because they are used in both regular text at full-size and as superscripts for items that are registered trademarks or copyrighted (sorry about that). The TM glyph doesn't work that way because in regular text you'd just type TM and not need a special glyph.

I would try putting the <Superscript> / <Default ¶ Font> on each side of the glyphs and see if that works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Linsims,

Thank you for your reponse. I tried your suggetion but no luck.

I believe there may be a bug and it is not fixed for a long time. My co-worker gave me a document which was created in Framemaker Version 9 and that one clearly shows it works.

FYI, I have noticed that people have issues and have questioned regarding these Symbols in Variables (Trademark, Registered and Copyright) since 2012 and I have not been able to find an answer for it.

Anyway, I appreciate our help and thanks for your effort.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just clarifying: you need to add a character style for superscript to your Character catalog—you can't just type in the word. And the character styles turn themselves off so you don't need to.

fmsup.png

One more observation, superscript defaults to a much higher level than the TM does. You can tweak the size and position in Format > Document > Text Options. 

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0