Highlighted

Table of Contents - Adding chapter/section numbers to Autogenerated TOC

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon, smart people!

Finally finished my doc and get my TOC right where I want it but got a request to add my chapter/section numbers before my entries.

I have:

Chapter 1 - General Information

Introduction

System Overview

Hardware

Software

I need:

1.0 Chapter 1 - General Information

1.1 Introduction

1.2 System Overview

1.2.1 Hardware

1.2.2 Software

I tinkered around with the Numbering tab in my Paragraph Designer and tried to use the Building Blocks, but I can't get it quite right. Help a writer from her brain exploding and it's 10 points for you!

Thanks, friends.

Meredith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Table of Contents - Adding chapter/section numbers to Autogenerated TOC

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon, smart people!

Finally finished my doc and get my TOC right where I want it but got a request to add my chapter/section numbers before my entries.

I have:

Chapter 1 - General Information

Introduction

System Overview

Hardware

Software

I need:

1.0 Chapter 1 - General Information

1.1 Introduction

1.2 System Overview

1.2.1 Hardware

1.2.2 Software

I tinkered around with the Numbering tab in my Paragraph Designer and tried to use the Building Blocks, but I can't get it quite right. Help a writer from her brain exploding and it's 10 points for you!

Thanks, friends.

Meredith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 27, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need the headings in the .fm files to reflect the numbering or just in the TOC?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Jeff.

Yes. I used autonumbers throughout my document so they look right in the text, but in the autogenerated TOC, only the title appears, not the numbers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2017 0
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so using them as a guide, go to the Reference page of the TOC - you should see the definitions for each of your TOC paragraph tags in there. Apply your building block elements to them & see what results when you update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2017 0
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, add <$paranum> and a space in front the the <$paratext> building blocks on the Reference Page that need the auto-numbering.

This blog explains the concept if this is new to you, but yours is different.

Adobe FrameMaker: Including Chapter Numbers in a Table of Contents - Rocky Mountain Training

Your chapter titles, heading1s and heading2s should look like this:

<$paranum> <$paratext>..........<$pagenum>

<$paranum> <$paratext>.........<$pagenum>

<$paranum> <$paratext>.......<$pagenum>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2017 2
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya'll are lifesavers. My reference page was perfect except for a couple dumb things like missing a "$" or something else tiny.

Thanks for the sanity check!

Meredith

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2017 0