• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table Title matches generated Paragraph number and Title

New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create a Table number and Title that matches the auto-generated Paragraph number and the Paragraph title entered by user?

Redacted procedure for Forum.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get the table number to automatically match, but not the text (if it is typed in). If you post the Autonumber tab of the Paragraph Designer for your heading, I can show you how to get the table number to match.

If you want the text to automatically match, you will have to use scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paragraph title is typed in, so I am so new to FrameMaker that I am not familiar with the term Scripting. Can you give me a little more information on Scripting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 10 and above has ExtendScript built in, which is Adobe's version of JavaScript. It allows you to script FrameMaker to automate tasks. So, for example, you could leave your table titles blank and run a script that would autmatically populate them based on the previous heading. Ideally, the script would insert a cross-reference to the heading so that if you change it, the table title would automatically update.

Of course, this would be a custom script that you would have to write or have someone write for you. Whether it is worthwhile to script depends on the the volume of content that you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I am happy to meet with you and show you some scripting scenarios. There would be no cost to you. Disclaimer: I write FrameMaker scripts for a living :-). Please contact me offlist: rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank yo very much, I will give this a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind offer Rick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't that be done with a cross-reference, Rick?

~Barb

x_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, a cross-reference is definitely the way to do it, whether "by hand" or via scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines