Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tables side by side

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I searched and could not find help with what I am trying to accomplish. I have been experimenting with trying to place tables side by side. Is there any easy way or something better than what I have done here? Currently I have used four text frame boxes and I have inserted the tables there. What I would like to do is create a table, add a row and make this row blank. I would then insert my next table there.

Top image is what I currently have. It works, just looking for a better way to do this.

Bottom image is what I was thinking of doing. Seems like this is easier to manage if I wanted to update the all table. I just could not get a center column to work right. Delete it and the tables connect. Try to hide the straddle the lines and hide the header rows and the whole table changes. TRYING TABLES.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your current solutions will have their own headaches with position and editing of content, as would placing anchored frames with a text frame (each containing a table) within a 4-cell table.

Have you considered creating the 4-up table in Excel or similar and then importing into a single anchored frame? This would give you some flex in designing the 4-up layout.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justin,

Your second approach should work, with custom ruling and shading in the separating column. Of course, that method requires the two tales to have the same number of rows, each with the same height on both sides.

Another possibility is to use a two-column document, in which all paragraphs except those containing anchors for these tables are set to Across All Columns.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anchored Frame with two-column Text Frame inside it works (plus or minus the annoyance of getting tops aligned).

But a basic question here is: where is the data coming from?

If it's already in a spreadsheet, format it there (perhaps on a separate sheet tab, xref'ing the source data). Export selections of those sheets to PDF (or EPS). Import that. This also addresses the on-going stewardship issue of the source data evolving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines