Highlighted

tagging a .pdf for language-awareness

Advisor ,
Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fascinating new request from a colleague, about making .pdfs that are ready for the Acrobat "Read out loud" function. Aha! I thought; set the language in the style definitions, generate a tagged .pdf and Bob's your uncle …

Or not :-{ I've explored the output .pdf, and while the language settings from the FM styles appear to have survived the journey, Read out loud delivers the entire text in English despite the language setting.

Hints and tips on this new-to-me topic will be very welcome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

tagging a .pdf for language-awareness

Advisor ,
Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fascinating new request from a colleague, about making .pdfs that are ready for the Acrobat "Read out loud" function. Aha! I thought; set the language in the style definitions, generate a tagged .pdf and Bob's your uncle …

Or not :-{ I've explored the output .pdf, and while the language settings from the FM styles appear to have survived the journey, Read out loud delivers the entire text in English despite the language setting.

Hints and tips on this new-to-me topic will be very welcome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 26, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not used this function, but I see that people have had issues with other languages not working because the o/s's text-to-speech language files weren't installed. Others have had issues with the voice that was trying to be used & when they switched voices, it started working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The language setting in Paragraph Designer allows you to specify a dictionary for spell check (including setting to None to turn off spell check for code, etc.)

I'm not sure it has any bearing on the PDF read aloud functionality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2018 0
Advisor ,
Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was initially hopeful (and then disappointed) because Acrobat shows that the information appears to have been included in the .pdf …

taggedPDF.png

I'll carry on trying to find out about language packs (or similar) for Acrobat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2018 0