• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Formatting - Format Codes to the right in HTML

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I format a specific type of text to be formatted to the right on an HTML output?

Snip1.PNG

Here is the layout in FrameMaker. The code names are formatted to the Right just like I want it.

Snip2.PNG

Here is a picture of the HTML output. The code names become integrated with the text. Not what I want.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue here is that your Fm layout is using tabs, and there is no tab entity in HTML. You might be able to accomplish this with non-breaking spaces in HTML ( ) or em spaces ( ) or use padding values via CSS. But I don't know that any of those options will provide a satisfactory solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. My non=breaking space entity converted to a non-breaking space character when I posted the response. It would look this this, without the spaces in between each character. & n b s p ;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this have to be done in FrameMaker or edited in Notepad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I see it is that you could either change the layout in FrameMaker or plan on handling it post export in a text editor or web editor (I'd use Dreamweaver).

Have you thought about chatting with a web developer on this to get their take? I would venture a guess that a lot of us on the FrameMaker forum are experts in FrameMaker, and might be knowledgable but not experts on HTML/CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not having used HTML workflow in a modern FM, I would expect that it's possible to map unique Character Formats to various HTML markups.

Could those codename strings be mapped to
style="float: right"
?

Failing that, a borderless table would seem to suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I add code name strings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your ACI 318-14 (8.10.5) is what I was referring to as a codename string.

Presumably it has a named Character Format applied. If that tag is unique to that tabbed and right-justified layout, it might be possible in the HTML workflow to map that tag to a CSS style of "float: right".

I'm not sure how consistently float:right generates the expected result in browsers, so the borderless table approach is still on the table. I have no idea what options exist for mapping FM table sizing to HTML table sizing.

The web (HTML) is probably never going to support tabs. Heck, the computer industry couldn't even agree on what a tab meant back in the terminal days (next defined stop, next multiple of n spaces, n spaces, newline, do-nothing, next field in a form, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines