• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The visual presentation of Anchored Frames inside Text Boxes seems to be incorrect

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this in here only to learn if this is either the normal way of visualizing the guidelines for overlapping text boxes and anchored frames or if I'm making a mistake or if this is an actual error in Framemaker.

When I define an anchored frame inside a text box which has the same width with the text box then Framemaker does show the guidelines of the text box and the anchored frame not exactly on top of each other but a little bit shifted from each other.

I couldn't find a specific tool to align the left line of both the text box and the anchored frame so I did align them on each other visually and manually. I think that I've managed to align the left lines of both these elements but the right line of the anchored frame doesn't exactly match to the text box whereas their widths are defined exactly as the same value.

Framemaker.Text.Box.Anchored.Frame.Width.Visual.Presentation.Inconsistency.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

HI @Cagataytech:

If the numbers match, you are fine. It's just a visual discrepancy.

But I would not use run into paragraph for the anchored frame property. I would either use the default anchor below paragraph, or anchor at insertion point, which aligns the bottom of the frame with the baseline of the hard return. That will illuminate all the extra returns you have to add to move the text under the frame. Both of these options allow you to use the paragraph spacing commands to control the s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be caused by Image Padding? I don't use text boxes, so I'm not sure if that affects anchored frames inserted into one, but you can try it to see.

In FM 2020, that's found by Edit > Preferences > Global: Image Padding. Change the value to 0 points and save. You may or may not need to restart FM, but I usually do after altering preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you placing text frame inside an anchored frame, which is in your text flow? When I've wanted to place text frames within anchored frames inside of text flows, they generally don't look like they match with the rest of the text flow.

They can also cause issues with pagination and other properties.

What is your goal...to create a warning, note, or caution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I'm placing an anchored frame into a text frame. Yes, I'm trying to copy the note, warning, caution, danger boxes which were created on Indesign in the past but I also wanted to define them as objects on Framemaker so that I could re-use these boxes whenever I required them. I also don't want to copy the exact same structure as before because the person who created them on Indesign did insert texts into graphic elements on Indesign. I want to keep the textual parts of these boxes outside of the graphics on Framemaker so that they can also be easily translated. I'm still learning the basics of Framemaker by both consulting to online resources and asking some details in here. I'm sure that I'll learn how to overcome these hurdles in time.

These boxes do look like as below on Indesign. I'm trying to find out a way to insert these text strings either onto the anchored frame/object line or find a way to place them under the graphic itself. I'm not sure if creating an entire anchored frame in the same width with the text box is the correct way to achieve what I want. Maybe just inserting the graphical element to the left of a text frame or object will be more appropriate.

Indesign.Information.Box.Text.Part.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to copy the note, warning, caution, danger boxes which were created on Indesign in the past but I also wanted to define them as objects on Framemaker so that I could re-use these boxes whenever I required them.

In that scenario, I would use a table, explained here: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-icons/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, these instructions were wonderful. The only problem is that the images and menu explanations do belong to older versions of Framemaker but I was able to find their counterparts in the latest version. I'm getting better and better every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Cagataytech:

Yes, the blog has been in place since 2009 and the software has been updating ever since. There's too much content to update all at once, so I try to swing back and update a post when I'm aware of a question that relates to it.

If you are ever reading one and get stuck, you can let me know by adding a comment to the bottom. Once notified, I will then update it to reflect the current version. I'll go back and review this one today.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Cagataytech:

If the numbers match, you are fine. It's just a visual discrepancy.

But I would not use run into paragraph for the anchored frame property. I would either use the default anchor below paragraph, or anchor at insertion point, which aligns the bottom of the frame with the baseline of the hard return. That will illuminate all the extra returns you have to add to move the text under the frame. Both of these options allow you to use the paragraph spacing commands to control the space above and below the anchor frames. In publishing, we don't use returns for spacing—we use space above and below commands, assigned to our paragraph styles.

Anchored below current line

a1.png

Anchored at insertion point

a2.png

On that note, take a look at object styles which will make the process quicker moving forward. For more information on using Object styles, see  https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-object-styles/ 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines