Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC - Chapter Title and Headings cross pages

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Working on this right now and no luck thus far (I suspect I would need to change something in the Reference page for the TOC - but what do I know....).  It seems to me that there is nothing "wrong" here and that the customer will just need to accept (I've seen other manuals having the same condition). 

See how the Chapter title is on one page, then the headings are on the next:

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Hi Ben,

I'm surprised it didn't work, are there any other keep with next/previous settings already applied? Strange pagination results can happen if the keep settings are applied to too many paragraphs. The reason for suggesting the use of keep with next in your case is that it limits the number of paras that are controlled by the keep settings. For example if every para in a flow has keep with previous Frame may try to keep everything together, but fail and give you an unexplained empty page som

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben, have you tried setting that paragraph tag (headingTOC) to keep with next paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ben,

You don't even need to change the TOC reference page. It's an easy fix too:

1. Put the insertion point in the paragraph with formatting problem.
  2. Open the Paragraph Designer (Ctrl + M).
  3. Switch to the Pagination tab in the Paragraph designer and check the Keep With Next Pgf checkbox.
  4. Click Update All and the selected paragraph will jump to the top of the next page to keep it with the following paragraphs. It may alternatively bring some of the following paragraphs onto the same page, depending on available space.
  5. You can fine-tune the behaviour by selecting the number of widow/orphan lines too.
  6. Save the changes then import the paragraph formats from the current document into the relevant template and any other documents that will use this Table of Contents definition.

Note: When you generate a TOC for a book file the definitions for the TOC format are extracted from the first FM document in the book.

I hope that works for you.

~ Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

I gave it a go.  IT did not work.  But, putting an instertion point on the following line and selecting Keep With Previous seemed to do the trick.  Now, to apply to everything, I assume that is your intent with the advice to "import" in step 6.  What if I just choose to "Update Style" on the Pagination page?  It seemed to apply the flag in all other instances.  But I also suspect it applies for the Style and therefore would perhaps be a good thing for future books?

regards,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

I'm surprised it didn't work, are there any other keep with next/previous settings already applied? Strange pagination results can happen if the keep settings are applied to too many paragraphs. The reason for suggesting the use of keep with next in your case is that it limits the number of paras that are controlled by the keep settings. For example if every para in a flow has keep with previous Frame may try to keep everything together, but fail and give you an unexplained empty page somewhere in the document.

The advice to import your changes into other documents or templates is just good housekeeping. It's very easy to forget this stage then wonder why the same problem pops-up again in another document. Then you have to remember where you fixed it previously . It doesn't matter where you update the style in the TOC file because you are only changing a different instance of the same Paragraph Format, the end result is the same.

Regards

~ Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ian,

Subsequent attempt and your suggestion worked.

Many thanks.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines