• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC formattting issue

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using framemaker for over 10 years, and I have a nagging problem in TOC's.

Give that you want standard toc's such as:

1.1 Introduction........................................1.3

Simply put, when you generate your TOC in a  book, there may be times when the "paratext" is quite long and it causes the text to get to close to the page number or even wraps over to the next line.

For example:

1.1 Introduction to Framemaker 9.0 basics1.3

1.1 The small brown fox jumped over the b

arrel1.1

How can we set up the heading1TOC parastyle to maintain a distance from the page number and if the paratext is to long, wrap to the next line and put the page number on the far right side.

my basic heading1toc style is set as follows:

Tab stops: 1.375 left

6.25 right (with leader ....)

on the reference pages,  the heading1toc is

<$paranum> <$paratext>.................<$pagenum>

How can I set it to always "wrap" the text, say for example, when it reachs 6.00 inch so the above example would result in

1.1 Introduction to Framemaker 9.0 basics...1.3

arrel....................................................1.3

Anybody have a solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

I do not believe you read all the way to the end of the thread, especially MY contribution. My method does NOT require adding tabs or spaces to the reference pages, with the exception of the one tab that right-justifies the page number. My method requires only a change to the TOC paragraph formats...very simple.

I just reread the referenced post and discovered the original poster was NOT using generated TOCs; BUT my method works for generated TOCs as well. Here is a copy of that post, edited to r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Archive guy wrote:

I've been using framemaker for over 10 years, and I have a nagging problem in TOC's.

Give that you want standard toc's such as:

1.1 Introduction........................................1.3

Simply put, when you generate your TOC in a  book, there may be times when the "paratext" is quite long and it causes the text to get to close to the page number or even wraps over to the next line.

For example:

1.1 Introduction to Framemaker 9.0 basics1.3

arrel1.1

How can we set up the heading1TOC parastyle to maintain a distance from the page number and if the paratext is to long, wrap to the next line and put the page number on the far right side.

my basic heading1toc style is set as follows:

Tab stops: 1.375 left

6.25 right (with leader ....)

on the reference pages,  the heading1toc is

<$paranum> <$paratext>.................<$pagenum>

How can I set it to always "wrap" the text, say for example, when it reachs 6.00 inch so the above example would result in

1.1 Introduction to Framemaker 9.0 basics...1.3

arrel....................................................1.3

Anybody have a solution?

This is an often-posted question. You can find past solutions with aGoogle search for "framemaker toc wrap long lines" and similar phrases, without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3060560#3060560

This is the method I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it was that simple. My TOC's are generated, ergo, I neeed a fix that will work by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that, but it's still a hit and miss approach.

Add extra tabs in ref pages,

add extra spaces on end of the paratext etc

IF TOC's are generated,  there has to be a better way than adding in manual line breaks.

I wonder if they fixed this in FRAME 10 that just came out? Humm, will have to wait & see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe you read all the way to the end of the thread, especially MY contribution. My method does NOT require adding tabs or spaces to the reference pages, with the exception of the one tab that right-justifies the page number. My method requires only a change to the TOC paragraph formats...very simple.

I just reread the referenced post and discovered the original poster was NOT using generated TOCs; BUT my method works for generated TOCs as well. Here is a copy of that post, edited to reflect the fact that the TOC is generated---

In the paragraph designer, select the paragraph tag for your TOC  paragraphs. In the Advanced tab, under Word Spacing, set the Minimum to  275%, the Maximum to 325%, and the Optimum to 100%. Then click Update  All. Do this for each TOC paragraph (that is, each level) that may be more than one line long.

NORMALLY, minimum is less than optimum and optimum is  less than maximum. I am not sure what FrameMaker is doing when it  encounters these settings, but I think it first tries to put the spacing  between the minimum and maximum, calculates the line breaks, then sets  the spacing to optimum. This causes lines to break much before the right  margin. Typically the last line is OK because it contains a right tab  set to the right margin. If the line  breaks are still too close to the right margin, you can try upping the  minimum and maximum BOTH by 100%, while keeping the optimum at 100%.

The  beauty of this method is that one does not need to enter  manual line breaks. In my case, the results are very good.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Van Kurtz

I must be humble and say You are 100% correct.

Tried your approach on several "Annoying" TOC's and as they

say Voila.... She is now Perfect N'est pas...

Thank you for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this works for all generated lists, of course. I had this issue with an LOF that was making me crazy.

Thanks, Van Kurtz!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why didn't I search on this problem sooner?! This works great! THANKS VAN!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome fix. This just worked for me too! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines