• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC hyperlinks with Subscripts and Superscripts

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links in my TOC break as soon as a subscript or superscript appears in the line of text.

I tried copying the marker at the beginning of the line of text and adding it to the subscript/superscript, but nothing changed. I also tried adding the marker to the (normal) text immediately following the subscript/superscript, and still nothing changed. Lastly, I tried adding the marker in both of these places, and still could not get the link to work past subscript/superscript.

Does anyone know of a workaround that I could try?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Try selecting the entire heading, apply Default Para Font from the Character Catalog and update the TOC.

I suspect the character tag might still be lurking

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you creating the super/subscripts using a character tag? If so, the occurrence of the tag may be limiting the active area of the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am.

Is there a way to create super/subscripts without using a character tag?

Or, is there a way to change the active area of the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not had to address this problem of having super/sub in a TOC, but my thought is to insert the super/sub from your character set.

See Unicode subscripts and superscripts - Wikipedia for a discussion of specific characters in a font. If your font has an ANSI code associated with the character, then press ALT, type the code (on the numeric keyboard!) and then release the ALT key. It should enter the character you need without the need for a character tag.

Let us know if you get this to work!

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the ANSI codes that I needed, but the links in the TOC still break at the superscripts/subscripts.

I deleted the superscript character 2 in V²h, hit ALT + 0178 to insert a superscript 2, saved the file, and then redid the "Set up Table of Contents" and updated my book/TOC/IOM.

-Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the entire heading, apply Default Para Font from the Character Catalog and update the TOC.

I suspect the character tag might still be lurking

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick!

Thanks so much for your help, Matt!

-Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent! Be sure to post this as a bug/feature request (that's for ​you to decide!) at adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: If so, the occurrence of the tag may be limiting the active area of the link.

Yep. Long-standing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines