Highlighted

TOC icon changes and won't regenerate - How do you re-mark it as a TOC?

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client's book file (FM 12) that has had it's individual files renamed and now the TOC icon is no longer the different color marking it as a TOC and it does not show up in the box to regenerate in the update book dialog box. Is there a way to re-mark it to designate it as a TOC?

I had this problem some time ago and IIRC I used the file as a "Template" but I can't remember the steps and when I look it up in the Adobe "Using FrameMaker" it is a little too vague on the exact steps to take (see below):

To use a template or an existing generated file in a new book file, add it to the book as a generated file. Then put the existing file in the folder that contains the book file, using the name that appears in the book window.

The first sentence says to "Add a template to the book as a generated file". How do you tell it to add the file as a generated file?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

TOC icon changes and won't regenerate - How do you re-mark it as a TOC?

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client's book file (FM 12) that has had it's individual files renamed and now the TOC icon is no longer the different color marking it as a TOC and it does not show up in the box to regenerate in the update book dialog box. Is there a way to re-mark it to designate it as a TOC?

I had this problem some time ago and IIRC I used the file as a "Template" but I can't remember the steps and when I look it up in the Adobe "Using FrameMaker" it is a little too vague on the exact steps to take (see below):

To use a template or an existing generated file in a new book file, add it to the book as a generated file. Then put the existing file in the folder that contains the book file, using the name that appears in the book window.

The first sentence says to "Add a template to the book as a generated file". How do you tell it to add the file as a generated file?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 10, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: ... book file (FM 12) that has had it's individual files renamed and now the TOC icon is no longer the different color marking it as a TOC and it does not show up in the box to regenerate ...

Sounds like someone renamed the component files using a file manager or command line. The broken TOC is only one of the problems you have. All your file-to-file xrefs are broken too, and other problems may lurk.

Book component files must be renamed using the Book menu's feature for that.

If you know the original names, close FM without modifying the files, rename them back (using a file manager and not the Book menu).  Re-open the Book, then rename.within the Book menu. You might need to revert to a backup or as-received fileset to do this.

If that route isn't available, you'll need to re-create the TOC using the Add > Table of Contents menu. Before doing that, rename the existing TOC to something harmless. When the new TOC exists, do a File > Import > Formats to bring in Master pages and Reference Pages from the prior TOC, plus any lead-in text preceding the generated content.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 0