• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC page numbers increment exponentially!

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2020 Book with 18 chapters. The TOC is fine until halfway through Chapter 3 where the page number explodes exponentially! Like it is counting line numbers or something! The page numbering in Chpater 3 is correct. 2020-11-01_10-08-31.pngSee attached.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

It looks to me like you've somehow managed to add a <$chapnum> building block to your TOC tag definitions on the reference page. Are you certain you're not using two different paragraph tags for the headings that are misnumbered and thus a different TOC tag?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed Chapter 3 from the book and updated but it still shows large numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In these cases, one of the first investigative steps is to discover if it's the
. page numbers,
. generated references to them (as here), or the
. actual page count
that is increasing.

There are things that can cause the actual page count to literally increase exponentially, such as a document or chapter that includes a Text Inset of itself. It will double in size every time you open or update it, like The Magnetic Monster of 1953.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @virtualtechwriter :

How is the book set up? Is there one file for Chapter 3 that starts with Overview and Objectives and ends with Importing Modules? Was it numbering correctly and then this just happened suddenly?

After you remove chapter three, right click the Chp 4 Advance Python chapter in the book window > Numbering. Is the page numbering set up to continue numbering from previous chapter in book? Does the numbering straighten itself out after you update the book without Chapter 3 in the mix?

FrameMaker does not allow us to restart the numbering with a non-sequential number within a single file. If the rest of the book is working as expected, the next thing I would try is to save Chapter 3 as a .mif file. Close, reopen and save back to .fm. Examine the file. Is the numbering sequential again? If not, can you share the file? You can put it on dropbox and post a link here (public) or message me (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes each chapter is a separate file. I have never had it number correctly as I just got the TOC to work correctly. I removed Chapter 3 and yes Chapter 4 numbers from previous file. I tried to save the file as MIF and opened, resaved as .fm but TOC still incorrect. I will send you a link for TOC and Chapter 3. THANK YOU.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me like you've somehow managed to add a <$chapnum> building block to your TOC tag definitions on the reference page. Are you certain you're not using two different paragraph tags for the headings that are misnumbered and thus a different TOC tag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a MAGICIAN! I spent a couple of hours trying to get that reference right and still missed it. It works FINE now! THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines