TOC tabs, paranums not showing, even with ref pages set up

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changes I'm making in my TOC reference pages  (tabs, chapter numbers) aren't appearing when I view its body page. But something is updating, because if I change my TOC heading1 color it changes on the body page. Anyone know what's up?

I'm running FM 2015 and the TOC is it's own document inside the book. Updating the book (Edit>Update book... with book in focus) or updating references (Edit>Update References... with TOC in focus) doesn't help.

My reference page:

My body page:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Explorer , Nov 11, 2016
effolsom Explorer , Nov 11, 2016
That was the problem. <sigh>For posterity:- I set up different chapters of my book with different show conditional text expressions built because of a complex thing I was trying to do with single sourcing.- I thought I could just ignore the inconsistencies messages, because I thought they were there to help me keep my doc straight.- But no, they are there probably to enforce consistency rules required for book-level logic like TOC.:sadface:

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the actual tab position as it occurs on the Body page. If it falls outside the text frame or column(s) used there, FM will not use it.

Note: you could use the "\t" command, rather than a physical tab in the generated entries, so you don't get led astray by the visual presentation on the Reference page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
effolsom AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Arnis Gubins​. Setting the tab position closer in didn't seem to help. I'm still seeing spaces in my Body page TOC. With the /t command, is it just a matter of literally typing the text "\t" or do I need to insert a variable or something?

With the paragraph numbering, I'm reminded of trying to figure out how to get chapter headings and numbers in the header. I tried typing things like "<$chapnum> directly into the header, but it turned out I had to edit the system variable instead. Is there something like that in the TOC reference page?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
effolsom AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some purposeful inconsistencies in show/hide conditional text settings in some of my chapters. Could that be preventing the TOC update?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the problem. <sigh>

For posterity:

- I set up different chapters of my book with different show conditional text expressions built because of a complex thing I was trying to do with single sourcing.

- I thought I could just ignore the inconsistencies messages, because I thought they were there to help me keep my doc straight.

- But no, they are there probably to enforce consistency rules required for book-level logic like TOC.

:sadface:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines