• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Total number of words in a book, anyone?

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book consisting of a list of documents with one main frame. I would love to know how many books my book contains. I do know FrameMaker 12 has in File -> Tools -> Document Report a facility to count the number of words in that document. My book has 50 documents and it's tedious to do this by hand.

Is there a script out there that would do that? Baring that, any starting script that I could actually take and use? I already know how to iterate on each document in a book, what I would need to know is the function I could call to count the number of words in that document and I think I could do the rest.

Thanks for any suggestion or help in this matter,

Egan.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Readability Tools plugin from http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com will

do it., and only $20.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Readability Tools plugin from http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com will

do it., and only $20.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might think that if the book was rendered to PDF, that you could then use Acrobat to count words. Somewhat astonishingly, it appears to lack the feature, the the Adobe forums are full of tips on how to copy all the text out of a PDF back into a WP/DTP app that can (assuming the PDF security allows it), or on how to use a script with Acrobat Std/Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines