• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to import template format with filename variable

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a template that frequently gets updated, so we have a place on the reference page that displays which version it is. I was asked to make this field automatically update when the template file is saved with a new name, so I used the Filename (Short) variable. This works great until the template format is imported into a new document. Now the new document displays its filename on the reference page (mynewdoc.fm), rather than the template filename (template_041-112018.fm).

Is there a way to use the Filename (Short) variable in the template and make FrameMaker retain its text on the reference page when the template format is imported into the new document? Or do we have to go back to manually updating the filename in the template to get what we want?

We are using FM17.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First guess, try setting up a user variable in the template file and then displaying that somewhere in the footer. caveat: this is speculative, because I don't work with template files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, what FieryPantone said. The System Variables for Filename give you the name of the file they're in. If you want to bring the template version over, you're going to have to create a user variable and remember to update it each time the template is revved.

It might be possible to use a script to automate this, but I'm not a scripter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem lies with the variable that's defined in your template. If you tell Fm to import variables into your document, then it'll do just that. And wipe out your chapter-modified variable definition.

Offhand, I'd create a user defined variable in your chapter, then create a MIF file from that chapter and remove all but the variable definition. (Easier than it sounds, and is the example used at the end of the MIF appendix in my Fm reference book, FrameMaker - Working with Content)

You can then import the MIF file into subsequent chapters and edit as needed. Since the variable isn't present in the template file, it'll never get wiped out during import.

HTH

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines