Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to open existing documents for editing freezing FrameMaker

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

How do I fix this issue? I can create new documents, and locked documents I can open in "view only", but I can't (locked or unlocked) fully open for editing any documents. I have a subscription for the tech suite, so I'm on the newest version of FM. Am I just going to have to uninstall/reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the docs located? Do you have rights to the folder? If the doc is locked, is someone else editing it or is it getting locked & not releasing the lock?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The docs are located on my local hard drive. Nobody else is editing the documents (I'm the only one with the software - the locked documents got locked from freezing during opening, but when they got locked it allowed me to open in "view only", which worked). I have full rights since it is my local machine (in the default Documents folder - running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit) and I'm an admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you exit out of FM, go to the docs location & delete the files with .lck on them; what happens when you start FM up & open them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing that happened when I first tried to open files - FrameMaker freezes and it re-creates the .lck file. See attached image (you'll notice the tab with the file's name is up, but the screen just stays white and the hourglass never goes away no matter how long you wait, and the instant you click on anything, Windows says FrameMaker is not responding).

FrameMaker Freeze.jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you starting up FM and then opening the doc or are you launching the application by double clicking the doc? Try starting up FM as an admin & then open the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also check that your anti-virus isn't going nuts trying to scan the files too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT says the anti-virus is not obstructing FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on the latest patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an update, which I just installed. Still having the same problem (no more updates available now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, out of desperation, I uninstalled and re-installed (I had still had the setup files from when I first downloaded FrameMaker). Mixed result. I can now open all files again. However, I cannot apply the most recent update (3.1). Every time I try, Adobe Application manager says update failed. Since going back to an older version has allowed me to open the files and I can no longer install the update, I'm going to guess that there is something in the update that isn't playing nice with my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try grabbing the patches manually & running them as an Admin. You can access them here - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, still didn't work. Different error code though.

When I try to update FrameMaker through the program itself (FrameMaker>Help>Updates...), I get this error code: U44M1I35

When I try to download the patches manually and run the install as admin, I get this error code: U44M2I218.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Contact Adobe Support – install issues are usually a freebie call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The freezing happens whether I open FrameMaker first and then the file or double click on the file to open FrameMaker - same result both ways (edit - running as admin didn't help either, still same problem).

The anti-virus idea has made me pause, we did recently switch anti-virus software. I've emailed our IT guy to please look into it, and I'll let you know if that works. In the meantime, can you think of anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try starting up FM as an admin & then open a doc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried that (see the edit in my previous response) - same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines