Two auto-numbering sequences in one paragraph format

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use the following paragraph auto-numbering format:

C:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>< =0 >< >< >\t 

It works as expected.

For our purposes, we have multiple sub-chapters in a document.

For instance.

Chapter 1.1

Chapter 1.2

Chapter 1.3

The Auto-numbering from our paragraph format would be:

What I would like to do is to add another auto-number sequence after this, it would look like this:

1.1.1 XY1

1.1.2 XY2

Then it should continue in Chapter 1.2 like this

1.2.1 XY3

Basically I want to hard code "XY" in the paragraph format and increment the numerical digit after "XY" and have it increment across multiple chapters (1.1/1.2/1.3) sequentially.

The format would be: C:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>< =0 >< >< >\t  XY (?).  I don't know if this is possible, but what auto-numbering element would allow me to increment the digit after "XY" (signified by the question mark in my example).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm assuming you can't just add another counter to your autonumber string because you need to reset/increment that number separately from any heading number? Would it work to make your 3-digit heading style a run-in head with nothing as the default punctuation (because your string already includes a tab character) and a new style for the XY numbering set as the Next Paragraph Tag?

So the 3-digit heading autonumber format would b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm assuming you can't just add another counter to your autonumber string because you need to reset/increment that number separately from any heading number? Would it work to make your 3-digit heading style a run-in head with nothing as the default punctuation (because your string already includes a tab character) and a new style for the XY numbering set as the Next Paragraph Tag?

So the 3-digit heading autonumber format would be:

C:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>< =0 >< >< >\t

...and the follow-on paragraph style (call it XY_Num or some such) would use:

X:XY<n+>

In this scenario, you would assign the 3-digit style to an empty paragraph, yielding (for example):

1.3.7[tab][insertion pointer][paragraph symbol]

...and then immediately hit return, yielding (again, for example):

1.3.7[tab][paragraph symbol]XY9[space][insertion pointer][paragraph symbol]

...and you could proceed to type the heading text. This would require some careful thought about setting TOC/MiniTOC formats (if necessary), but it would do what (I think) you want to do.

Hope this helps....

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill.  This works perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

As you said the TOC is not straightforward.  We do need the TOC to display this for example:

1.3.7 XY9  abcdefg

Any idea how to make the TOC display both paragraph numbers and the respective text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have figured out one method that works for this.

Create a new paragraph format that includes the text I want in the TOC ,keep in on the same line as "1.3.7 XY9 abcdefg". 

Make the text conditional.  Generate TOC.  After the TOC is generated, hide the text using the conditional menu.

Perhaps there is a cleaner method, but this is viable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see you've found one method; I wonder if there's another: I haven't tried it, but I wonder if you couldn't just make the paragraph style that corresponds to the 3-digit heading (e.g., Heading3TOC) a run-in head, just like the actual heading style, and give it just the <$paranum> counter and a space on the TOC reference page. Then the following heading (XY_Num in my example above, which would become XY_NumTOC in the TOC) would be run in with the 3-digit number, and you could include the counters for page number and/or chapter number on the reference page entry for that paragraph.

This will work (at least I think it will; as I say, I haven't tried it) as long as the 3-digit headings are always followed by the XY-numbered heading; it'll screw things up if Heading3TOC is ever followed by any other paragraph than XY_NumTOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines