Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create Window

Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends and experts,
Until now I always had at least one document open before I started my script. Now I first started the script (File > Scripts > Catalog > scriptname > Run) just after FM start. The effect described also happened in the past during debugging and I attributed it to forgetting to unregister etc. But now I just 'work' with the script.
The following happens randomly after having open one or more documents.
As soon as I want to open a panel (via shortcut or from the menu) the script reports

Error Message      : Unable to create Window
Script, Line#   : E:\_DDDprojects\FM-calc\FMcalc\FMcalc_dialogC.jsx,  14

The referenced script line is this or similar:

wPalC  = new Window("palette", goTxt.wPalC, undefined);

Each test is a separate start of FM, then starting the script, then opening the first document.
Test 1:  One document open; error after first invocation of panel
Test 2:  5 documents open; after each open invocation of panel OK
Test 3:  One document open; error after first invocation of panel
Test 4:  One document open; error after first invocation of panel
Test 5:  Open FM and just leave it. This requires at the next start to search for the script.
Test 6:  4 documents open; after each open invocation of panel OK

What I have found so far on this problem is of little help: www.hivmr.com, www.deskdr.com

The only reasonable information is given here: simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/
«Unfortunately, this is a bug in Adobe's script engine known to users of PSE and Photoshop and the total remedy hasn't been found yet. As a rule, this problem resolves itself after several computer re-boots. However, if in your case the problem persists, the author can suggest the only solution - using the action based version of "Elements+" »

This reflects my experience of randomness.
Any other ideas how to cure the problem?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since no sulution can be seen on the horizon, i decided to at least inform the user more friendly about the situation. Because the error is just written in the log file, the user may not get a glimpse what happened - the script just does not react any more.

Hence I put Try / Catch around the statements defining the panel windows - and hope that the user can go with it:

try { wPalC  = new Window("palette", goTxt.wPalC, undefined); }
catch (e) {
  alert ("Very sorry to tell you that ExtendScript is not willing to create the panel\nThe only cure is to restart FM (even better: twice) and run the script again");
  return;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

if you could send me your script, I could test it for you. I have a guess....but I have to do some tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks Klaus, for this offer.

I will sen the script (+ testfiles) offline to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines