• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Save Book as PDF in Framemaker 2017

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to Save Book as PDF in FM 2017.  I have noticed that now I am also unable to save certain documents of the book as PDF, but when I take those out, I still wind up with a non-responsive FM 2017.

Windows 10.  Adobe PDF as default printer.

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What point version of FM2017 are you running? I think an update fixed this IIRC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

First, update to 14.0.3 via the Help menu.

After that, follow the suggestions at http://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

If you're still having trouble, let us know.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 14 0.2.425. I suspect that is the problem.  We've recently had a protocol change, since we're a DOD contractor, so I have to have IT do my updates.  Bummer.  I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to 14.0.3.500.  I'm getting the same behavior, i.e., Framemaker starts to compile, creates the TPS file, and the spooler gets to about page 37 or 38, then hangs.  Never gets to the Distiller. Interestingly, the spooler file size changes after I cancel the file in the spooler.  I tried removing some documents, and it still hangs about the same place.  It will , (or randomly, will not), compile an individual document from the book.

I've gone through the tips and tricks, and no change.

Windows 10 PRO, v 1709, Build 16299.192

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're getting a TPS file, it sounds like you're still using Save Book as PDF.

Does the same thing happen when you use the File > Print route?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Gets to page 37 and hangs in the spooler.  Does not generate a TPS file.  I think I will start processing small sections and see if I can find a suspect file using File>Print.  Was not successful with Save as PDF, maybe this will make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea...use Exclude (right click on file in book window) on the chapter containing p. 37 and reprocess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the latest observations:  It seems that files without images compile without error.  Files with images bomb out about the 2nd or 3rd page, (when encountering the first image, I suppose).  However, I finally got Distiller up long enough to capture an error message, which follows.  This was a file with images.  I checked the images, and they were not overly large, mostly PDF or jpgs, with an occasional png.

Adobe PostScript software version: 3018.101

CID support library initialization completed.

Adobe PDF Settings file read error in PDFX4 2008.joboptions:

/CheckCompliance out of range

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My money is on the PDF/X job option, which is a delivery standard that imposes extra requirements on the content being converted.

Color mode and fonts are two of the things that can cause failure, and it sounds like your choice of settings for the graphics is causing the issue.

Is there a reason that you need a file compliant with PDF/X?

Can you produce a PDF using Standard or High Quality job options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of any choice which would specify that.  I either use Smallest File setting, or Standard.  I rarely use High Quality.  There is no setting I am aware of that specifies that compliance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a Standards Reporting and Compliance setting:  it's NONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can you produce a PDF using Standard or High Quality job options?"

No.  My default is Standard, and I usually use Standard or Smallest File Size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per your previous error log,

Adobe PDF Settings file read error in PDFX4 2008.joboptions:

You are specifying PFX/4 somewhere in your workflow, and it's causing the out of range error.

If you're printing to a .ps file, this might happen while creating the .ps, or within Distiller when processing the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll try to find where that is occurring, but it isn't obvious right now.

Dennis

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDFX4 2008.joboptions

I am unable to find anywhere that file is specified.  I suspect it is being generally read as a setup function with all the setup files, and causes a read error which hangs the system.  I looked at the file and could not see any potential error.  Perhaps if I could get another copy of the file, I could try to substitute it and see if it reads properly.

Of course, that may not be the problem at all, but that is the only thing showing as an error.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing your job options from PDFX4 to something else. I can't remember where I previously found this (Acrobat help?), but here is an exact quote:

"NOTE: PDFX4 presets do not show in Distiller because they contain features not supported in PostScript. These presets are useable, however, by Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. You can also use Acrobat Preflight to convert files to PDFX4 compliance."

In other words, don't use FrameMaker to produce PDFX4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you see, that's the problem.  There is nowhere that PDFX4 is selected.  I would change it if I could find anywhere it is specified.  As I said, I believe that the file is read as a normal course of setup with all other setup files.  I don't know for sure if that is true, but I suspect it is.  Now, I am going to get another copy of the file to replace the one I have to see if that makes a difference.  One of the other operators is able to compile successfully, so that is where I will get the file.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis,

Has there been any resolution to your issue? I am having the same problem. I even tried to do it with a service manual I created before the last 2 updates to Framemaker 2017. When I opened that book up and then tried to Save As PDF it failed. Luckily this service manual is already finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had many instances where Save as PDF just doesn't work.

Have you had success creating the PDF using the Print command?

http://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tech Comm Tools,

I tried to "Print to File". However, I did not continue with that operation due to unable to select PDF format.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, he means print to the Adobe PDF printer instance in your list of Windows printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still only get a .TPS...

Oh...Hang on. Well, it worked, but what a round about way to get a PDF file! I say revert 2 Updates ago so we don't have to do this workaround to get a PDF.

I didn't know I was supposed to double click on the .ps file for it to run through Adobe Distiller which is what created the .PDF file. Hopefully an update comes out SOON that fixes this issue of not creating a .PDF file when a user clicks on "File - Save as PDF..."

Thank you for assisting me in creating my PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have tried all the tips from the post and saved and re-saved the book umpteen times. Still no success. Every time I save book as PDF (from FM2017), or print as PDF it gets stuck on a chapter (not the same each time) and I get the "not responding" alert. Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the EXACT same problem after a recent Windows update (late last week) - I couldn't generate a PDF from FrameMaker 11 (all other software was fine). I upgraded all the software (yes, I know it was time), and still had the issue. I found a website, and this author provided a bunch of tips and tricks. Now I can create PDFs from FrameMaker again! I do not exactly know which trick worked because I went through the WHOLE list and updated EVERYTHING mentioned. But... I am successful. Hope this works for you!

http://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines