• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown File Type Error when opening a FrameMaker file

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a FrameMaker file that I worked on last week but FrameMaker won't open today. I get an "Unknown File Type" dialog with a selection of file types that I can use to specify the source of the file. But, it is a FrameMaker file. The file is located on a network server, not my laptop. I have not encountered this error before. I googled it, but I found only discussions from 2009 or earlier. I am using FrameMaker 12.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see that it didn't get some funky extension added to the filename that's causing your file type not to be recognized as a FM file. Also try firing up FM and then opening the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like your Windows registry has gotten a little garbled.

Try right-clicking on the .fm or .book file and using the Open with... option. This may differ based on your Windows version.

To fix it permanently, you need to dig around in that dialog for the Always open with option.

One other option: You may want to ask IT (or Google) about running an registry cleaner on your machine. I've had good luck with the (free) CCleaner product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines