• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unresolved cross-references error in FM 10, but same ref-s working in PDF

Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've come across an issue I can't fix: when opening an .fm file in FrameMaker I get an error message saying the document has unresolved cross-references. The Find/Change check also shows that all cross-references in the file are broken, but from the Cross-references pod I can jump to the right marker by clicking Go to source.

At the same time when I choose to save the book as PDF, these same references in the resulting PDF work just fine: they are clickable and lead exactly to the right location. The .book and the .fm files are all stored locally, so no networking or sharing involved. Markers added automatically, source type for references is Paragraph.

Could you please help me figure out how to fix the links that seem to be working just fine?

Thanks,

Svetlana.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

> What is a MIF wash and how would you do that?

Maker Interchange Format (human-readable FM document markup).

In FM10 & later, I think it's a pulldown menu item, but what it does is:

1. save all files as .mif in MIF[latest] format, including the .book
    (if by hand, save in place to .fm and .book to make this easier)
  2. close all files
  3. open the ( MIF ) files

If you do it manually, to .mif file names, be sure to open the body.mif files first, and resave them as .fm before opening the book.mif file.

This process

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer given to this issue in a different thread

When this happens to me, and it does, the usual obstruction is that the orphan Xref is on a Master Page that is hidden because the Pagination is set to Single Sided.

If your Format > Page Layout > Pagination is set to <*> Single Sided in the suspect document, change it to <*> Double Sided and search MPs again.

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Harpreet,

I've read that topic and tried searching both Master and Reference pages as well, but nothing found.

Replacing the allegedly broken x-refs doesn't work either: I replace, I save both the book and .fm, I close and reopen the document, but the issue remains. Find/Change persists that the x-ref is still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the Xrefs and Xref markers are there, and match, the recent tips on how to find rogue Unresolveds probably don't apply.

Are we speaking of file-to-file refs in a book, or just refs inside files?

Have you tried a MIF wash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

we are speaking about refs within one particular fm. file, like in "For details, see <ref>Table 3</ref>" with Table 3 added right below and created from scratch.

What is a MIF wash and how would you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> What is a MIF wash and how would you do that?

Maker Interchange Format (human-readable FM document markup).

In FM10 & later, I think it's a pulldown menu item, but what it does is:

1. save all files as .mif in MIF[latest] format, including the .book
    (if by hand, save in place to .fm and .book to make this easier)
  2. close all files
  3. open the ( MIF ) files

If you do it manually, to .mif file names, be sure to open the body.mif files first, and resave them as .fm before opening the book.mif file.

This process at least flags, and may fix or correct any data structures that aren't valid MIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million for the suggestion!

I dunno how, but it worked all refs have been repaired, the error message gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Svetlana zvezdova

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Здравей🤣🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Мухльо

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines