• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted text wrapping

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A paragraph seems to have a set height, because any text added to the end of it jumps to below the following table.

???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

I fixed it, I think? As long as all my text was placed before that anchor marker (?), everything is cool.

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us you table anchor settings in Table Designer > Basic? Is Float on? And before/after screen shots with Text Symbols visible?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure what you are describing...Are you adding text to the para after the table anchor? Can you provide a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viewing the Text Symbols has revealed an upside-down "T" in the paragraph, which is probably the villain in this set piece, but I can't seem to delete it.

The FM Help is no help. What is that thing and how do I get rid of it? Sigh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it, I think? As long as all my text was placed before that anchor marker (?), everything is cool.

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, text that is placed after the table anchor will continue to fill the current line, then break below the table.

Unless the table is set to float. If set to float, the table may break to the next available column or page, and the text will remain together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Leon:

What is that thing and how do I get rid of it?

The upside down T is the table anchor, and as a default, a table will appear directly below the anchor. The job of the anchor is to keep the table with the paragraph that references it, so that if you add a few line or pages of text ahead of the anchor, everything just reflows and the table maintains its position under the paragraph, even as it moves to a new page.

The anchor actually represents the table, and that's why you can't just press Backspace or Delete to get rid of it. If you truly want to remove the anchor you can highlight it and then press Backspace or Delete, but that will highlight and delete the entire table along with the anchor.

As long as all my text was placed before that anchor marker (?), everything is cool.

Instead you have figured out how to work around the anchor. Continue to add new text to the paragraph ahead of the anchor, and the anchor will just move out of your way. Using the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard is helpful to put your cursor exactly where you want it because visually, the anchor can obscure both the punctuation and the end of paragraph pilcrow (¶).

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-02-14 17.24.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines