Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating crossreference formats in book does not change appearance

Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

For my compendium book (17 chapters, about 500 pages) I decided to change the format of cross reference from

<1-highlight><$paratext></> on page\ <$chapnum>\+<$pagenum>

to

<hypertext><1-highlight><$paratext></> on page\ <$chapnum>\+<$pagenum>

So that the appearnce changes from this cross-reference-format-old.png  to this  cross-reference-format-new.png

• I changed the format in the first file of the book and imported the Xref formats to all other files in the book
  • All files in the book are open.
  • I updated the book multiple times, but the appearance does not change.
  • When workin on a chapter new cross references appear of course in the new format - but I need to change others manually: Double click; Replace.

I'm not certain whether this is standard behaviour or a new fault in FM-15.0.5.838

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

I am not sure about using multiple character format building blocks in a cross-reference format. It SHOULD work but the best approach might be to make a single character format with the combined properties that you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure about using multiple character format building blocks in a cross-reference format. It SHOULD work but the best approach might be to make a single character format with the combined properties that you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the question of whether Character Formats can be stacked in Xref expressions (something I've never tried), it would also be necessary to ensure, in all book component files, that each Character Format is carefully set to As-Is for every attribute except those it was created for. This remark is for the casual readership, as I'm sure Klaus knows this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Rick, the effect must come from the 'unstackable' character formats - which I know about but thought it worked in x-refs: For a newly inserted x-ref it worked, but the update process did not work with these kind of x-ref formats.

Since the catalogues are a genuine FM mechanism, it was a quarter of an hour to fix all x-ref formats from

<hypertext><highlight-1>…

to

<x-ref>…

With the character format x-ref comprising colour and italic - Yes Bob, the trick with first placing the cursor into the side area outside of any text frame and then defining the character format is close to my heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines