Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating the table of contents

Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've a book with several, files.  I've updated one of the files - adding a new Heading 1 and some body text.  How do I get the TOC to now recognize this new bit?

Many thanks

Regards,

Ben

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

I've updated one of the files - adding a new Heading 1 and some body text.  How do I get the TOC to now recognize this new bit?

To add the new heading to the TOC, right+click the TOC in the book window > Set up TOC. Here you can add the missing format and then update your book. It will add the info to the TOC reference page automatically. You will just need to make it look pretty by setting the font, alignment, tabs, etc.

Further, I poked around to see what you are referring to as "Reference" pag

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Book, then do Edit > Update Book – select the options you want updated & let ‘er rip ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, should have included the fact that I've done this.  The new heading 1 is in fact added, but all of the formatting, "..." etc is removed.  Must I go into the TOC and re-apply all formatting?

Here is a screenshot of the dialog (when I tried this, I left the options selected as shown here):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This a brand-new, never before used in the Book, heading1? If so, you would need a new heading1TOC format too in the Reference page of the TOC to handle it. Or are you saying that after the Update, the whole TOC is now "unformatted"? If that's the case, then you need to import the formatting from a "good" TOC into the "bad" one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I should help level set here - I'm new to this and my main function right now is to update existing FM documents...

The existing document makes use of the Paragraph Tag - Heading 1 for other sections within the document.  I simple want to add a new section and have the TOC reflect this new section at the same level as the others assigned to Heading 1.  Here is a snapshot of the Paragraph Designer POD (I think that's what it is called) for an existing section:

What I did, was to select the new heading I created, go into the Paragraph Designer, and set the parameters such as what is displayed above.

Further, I poked around to see what you are referring to as "Reference" page for the TOC.  I think this is where you meant:

If so, you can see that the Heading1TOC already exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your TOC file, set the formatting for the Heading1TOC paratag as you want it to look (and use the Update All to set it). Then update your book to generate the revised TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated one of the files - adding a new Heading 1 and some body text.  How do I get the TOC to now recognize this new bit?

To add the new heading to the TOC, right+click the TOC in the book window > Set up TOC. Here you can add the missing format and then update your book. It will add the info to the TOC reference page automatically. You will just need to make it look pretty by setting the font, alignment, tabs, etc.

Further, I poked around to see what you are referring to as "Reference" page for the TOC.  I think this is where you meant:

That's an HTML mapping table—which is an unrelated feature. The TOC reference page is often the last one. Keep paging through until the status bar shows TOC in the center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help.  I'm sure to be back.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would pick up a copy of Matt R. Sullivan's reference books for FM - extremely useful to FM-newbies ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff - will check into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Glad you are back on track!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops... not quite I guess...

How do these things get placed into the TOC:

the last one - is TitleToc and may be a nuisance.

Here is the result (again, I am working with an existing document, adding a new heading at the Heading 1 level - such an easy task it would seem...):

Lastly, following your instructions, I right clicked on Setup and selected as shown here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can ID these paragraphs on both the reference pages and the body pages by clicking on them and looking at the ¶ tag name in the lower left-hand corner of the status bar (right above the Windows start menu). Start with the Contents 1-i: what is the tag name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is called "TitleTOC"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition I have found, that is I create the TOC without selecting any paragraphs to be included, the Reference data still shows these three whose values are:ChapterNumberTOC, IndexIXTOC and Title TOC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChapterNumberTOC, IndexIXTOC and Title TOC

Are these the three highlighted in yellow in the first screen shot? Just delete them from the reference page. My guess is that they are hanging around from some previous iteration of the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These three - I was able to delete (and they stayed deleted after updating the book). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are asking for that to be pulled in. See the name Title in your last screen shot? That tells Fm to scan all of the book files, copy anything tagged Title into the TOC and rename it TitleTOC.

You can either pull the Titles from the TOC, or just rename the tag Title in that one file to something different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to find all instances of this (or such other items) without going into each file and manually searching?  Also, as you can see there is already "Contents" in bold large text (with the tag - "Title").  I want to keep that one, but remove the "Contents 1-i"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, as you can see there is already "Contents" in bold large text (with the tag - "Title").  I want to keep that one, but remove the "Contents 1-i"

I'm guessing the Contents is the title sitting directly above the unwanted Contents 1-i. Is it tagged Title? If so, perhaps you want to rename it ContentsTitle.

ChapterNumberTOC, IndexIXTOC and Title TOC

Are these the three highlighted in yellow in the first screen shot? Just delete them from the reference page. My guess is that they are hanging around from some previous iteration of the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So I re-assigned the Contents to the ContentTitle tag and I no longer see the "Contents 1-i" in the Body view.  However, even after deleting the tag "<$paratext> <$pagenum>" from the Resource view, it reappears after I update the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the mysterious building block line on the reference page and tell me what the tag name is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is what you are asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to do this piecemeal, one tag at a time, so let me try to give you the big picture.

In FrameMaker, you select the paragraph tags that control the text that you want copied into the TOC. According to this screen shot, you have asked to include the ChapterTitles, Heading1s, Heading2s, Heading3s and Titles. There are more paragraph tags in that list on the left that I can't see. pastedImage_3.png

When they are copied to the TOC, they are renamed by adding the TOC suffix to the end of the original tag name:

• ChapterTitleTOC
  • Heading1TOC
  • Heading2TOC
  • Heading3TOC
  • TitleTOC
  • Plus the ones I can't see

There is a line for each of these tags on the TOC Reference page. Remove the building blocks with tags that you don't need, as per the earlier information. Format the ones you want to keep. TitleTOC will be on the reference page because you are asking for it in the Set Up Table of Contents dialog box. If you don't want it, remove it from the Set up Table of Contents dialog box or it will keep coming back.

It takes me about 60-75 minutes to teach how to create a Table of Contents to a new user in my advanced class, and it's tough to do it via typing in the forum. You might want to take a look at the FrameMaker online help files, or look for a class. FrameMaker is a tough program to teach yourself, but I admire your perseverance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help (and patience)

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines