Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating the table of contents

Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've a book with several, files.  I've updated one of the files - adding a new Heading 1 and some body text.  How do I get the TOC to now recognize this new bit?

Many thanks

Regards,

Ben

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

I've updated one of the files - adding a new Heading 1 and some body text.  How do I get the TOC to now recognize this new bit?

To add the new heading to the TOC, right+click the TOC in the book window > Set up TOC. Here you can add the missing format and then update your book. It will add the info to the TOC reference page automatically. You will just need to make it look pretty by setting the font, alignment, tabs, etc.

Further, I poked around to see what you are referring to as "Reference" pag

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition I have found, that is I create the TOC without selecting any paragraphs to be included, the Reference data still shows these three whose values are:ChapterNumberTOC, IndexIXTOC and Title TOC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I added an Index to my book file, and it is not appearing in my TOC. I will also need to add a few appendices later, and I expect I'll run into the same issue. When I right click on my TOC file in the list of files within the book window, I do not get a "Set up TOC" option. Is there another way to add the Index to the TOC, since I can't access the "Set up TOC" fucntion?

Thank you,
Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to duplicate the screen which listed all of the options (Head1, Head2, etc.) that I could pick to include in my TOC by clicking the arrow. If I could see that screen again, I'd add "IndexTitle" to my list of included options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cameo:

The correct way to create a TOC in FrameMaker is to have FrameMaker generate it for you. There are a series of rules to follow for generated files, and when you follow them, they work like a charm. If the TOC was generated, adding the IndexTitle and AppendixTitle tags (or whatever you choose to call them) is all you need to do, as per the beginning of this thread.

If you right+click the TOC and don't see Set Up Table of Contents, that says to me that the TOC was likely not generated. Can you share a screen shot of your book file that lists the files including the TOC?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb,

I ended up deleting the TOC that already existed in the book file and generating a new one. That worked for me!

Best wishes,
Cameo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines