• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating TOC resets paragraph tags

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When updating the TOC, a new file is generated and my paragraph tag settings are reset.  I have ugly text wrapping that I'm trying to fix; I set my left indent to .75 to push the wrap over and then update the TOC, and the indent setting resets to "0" and the wrapping comes back.  My character designer settings don't reset, why do the paragraph settings reset?

Should I not be updating the TOC?  How do I get the setting to remain when updating the TOC?

Before updating TOC:

clipboard_image_0.png

After updating TOC:

clipboard_image_1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019
OK, then it's as I suspected. You are introducing an override because you are applying the change but not updating the style. Two different things, and yes, if you are applying an override for only SOME of the paragraphs, then it will have to be redone every time. However, since it appears you want the second line to indent every time, the next time you make this change, click Update Style instead of apply and make sure you save the document. The next time you regenerate, the new formatting shou...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you updating the <paragraph name>TOC style or just applying it? If you're not updating the style, your changes won't stick since the file is built from scratch every time you regenerate. That's why page and line breaks introduced manually have to be redone every time you regenerate.

I find that working on the TOC reference page instead of the body pages helps me keep track of what I'm doing with TOC formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I mispoke; I meant I am updating the book, so a new TOC is generated. I am going into the paragraph designer and updating the left indent for my paragraph tag ("Table Title LOT") only on the line that has text wrap. I guess I just need the text wrap to indent to the right a little, but when I set it and update book, a new file is generated and the wrap resets back to '0'. Is this normal, and do I need to apply this setting every time I update the book? Or do I need to set this indent in the reference pages?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, then it's as I suspected. You are introducing an override because you are applying the change but not updating the style. Two different things, and yes, if you are applying an override for only SOME of the paragraphs, then it will have to be redone every time. However, since it appears you want the second line to indent every time, the next time you make this change, click Update Style instead of apply and make sure you save the document. The next time you regenerate, the new formatting should be in effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for the assistance! I was able to fix it based off your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines