• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

upgrading from very old installation – what do I need to know?

Advisor ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to have found my way back to the new forum … as, after (let's say) a considerable time, I have been told a technician will be showing up "really soon" to install my new TC licence. I want to be able to use a full installation of Acrobat, not just have the 'headless' version in FrameMaker; my current platform has Acrobat X Pro and FM 12.

What do I need to know before I let the technician loose? do I need to upgrade one piece of software before the other? is it like the old days of simply telling FM not to install headless Acrobat? I look forward to your advice!

TOPICS
Installation and licensing , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

Good that you are back!

Admittedly I cannot remember, what I installed in which order, and whether there was a choice to install this headless Distiller. Just be careful.

As for previous versions install Acrobat first. Then FrameMaker will find the Acrobat printer to set up its routines.

Also update FrameMaker to the latest update: 15.0.4.751.

FrameMaker 2019 uses its own PDF creation feature without Distiller. (Both ways use Save As PDF.) Just check, if the PDF has all your fonts. And also note what is faster, FrameMaker or Distiller.

When you prefer the Distiller, you can change this. In the Publish pod select PDF and next to your Settings file click on Change Settings. Then click the Outputs tab and select the Use Acrobat Distiller for PDF generation option.

Best regards

Winfried

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Winfried – Acrobat first, then FM: I'll remember. All I have to do now is wait for the technician ;-} and then, probably, watch him get stuck because of corporate firewall settings. We'll see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and by the way … do I need to uninstall Acrobat X Pro before letting 'them' install TC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

It's a year ago that I had installed FM 2019 and Acrobat Pro DC. Therefore my rememberance is vague. I could be wrong.

No. You do not need to uninstall older Acrobat installations.

The installation will deinstall older Acrobat installations automatically.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines