• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User variables being renamed to fmv1, fmv2, fmv3, etc.

Participant ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with DITA 1.3 in FrameMaker 2015. Had added several user variables, but after relaunching FrameMaker and loading the XML files, found that the variables had been renamed to fmv1, fmv2, fmv3, etc.

Is this because I'm working with the DITA structure?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

I realized that I had spaces in my variable names, which was causing FrameMaker to perform substitution of fmv#

For example, instead of:

• Color lowercase
  • Colors lowercase
  • Color uppercase
  • Colors uppercase

I should have used:

• Color_lowercase
  • Colors_lowercase
  • Color_uppercase
  • Colors_uppercase

The FrameMaker 2015 documentation doesn't explicitly state that spaces are not allowed in variable names, and the FrameMaker interface permits spaces when typing name in the Add/Edit Variable pod. All the system variables

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at an example XML file, one can see where the user variables have been renamed to fmv1, fmv2, fmv3, etc. This occurred when opening the file into FrameMaker, which looks like a bug.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE dita PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA 1.3 Composite//EN" "technicalContent/dtd/ditabase.dtd" [

<!-- Begin Document Specific Declarations -->

<!ENTITY fmv1 "color">

<!ENTITY fmv2 "colors">

<!ENTITY fmv3 "Color">

<!ENTITY fmv4 "Colors">

<!-- End Document Specific Declarations -->

]>

<dita><topic id = "id157GA0K0FD6"><title>Variable Definitions</title>

<body><p>&fmv1;</p>

<p>&fmv2;</p>

<p>&fmv3;</p>

<p>&fmv4;</p></body></topic></dita>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without doing a bit of work, I don't think you'll get variables to work well in DITA files using the default support in FM. Also, it's typically best to avoid document-defined entities (which is how FM deals with variables in XML) if you plan to use XSLT. This is working "as designed".

However, if you use DITA-FMx, it does support FM variables with DITA. Might want to take a look ..

http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/

Cheers,

Scott Prentice

Leximation, Inc.

www.leximation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realized that I had spaces in my variable names, which was causing FrameMaker to perform substitution of fmv#

For example, instead of:

• Color lowercase
  • Colors lowercase
  • Color uppercase
  • Colors uppercase

I should have used:

• Color_lowercase
  • Colors_lowercase
  • Color_uppercase
  • Colors_uppercase

The FrameMaker 2015 documentation doesn't explicitly state that spaces are not allowed in variable names, and the FrameMaker interface permits spaces when typing name in the Add/Edit Variable pod. All the system variables have spaces in the name, so I didn't see issue with user variables having spaces. However, I notice that the documentation examples use underscores instead of spaces....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines