Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Distiller in FM 2019 to make PDF loses PNG transparency

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am creating a 2019 FM (all patched up) file using CMYK colors for print.

In the mix, I have a single PNG with a transparent background. (I know it's RGB only, so will test the color shift).

In the Publish pod, if Use Acrobat Distiller is selected, the transparent PNG background becomes white. If Use Distiller is not selected, the PNG's background remains transparent.

Sean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Hi Sean,

Keep in mind that going the Distiller route involves postscript, which is based on an opaque printing model. You have to jump through a few hoops to allow transparency. Please see my write up in this Forum's Documents section:  FM_transparency_rev1.pdf

The Publish Pod uses a direct PDF syntax route which is quite different from the postscript > Distiller route.

So, if you need additional pdfmark functionality, use the hints and tricks in the transparency document in order to use the Disti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean

Use the non-distiller option, the images are taken as-is whether RGB or CMYK without any loss. transparency would also go fine.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

please let us know if everything works now with the Distiller option turned off.

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, for this thread, nothing changed after I applied the new update today.

This remains true: "In the Publish pod, if Use Acrobat Distiller is selected, the transparent PNG background becomes white. If Use Distiller is not selected, the PNG's background remains transparent."

Notice that using Distiller is recommended for PDFmarks, which would be used sending the document for print. The lack of transparency would be inconvenient in this case.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sean,

Keep in mind that going the Distiller route involves postscript, which is based on an opaque printing model. You have to jump through a few hoops to allow transparency. Please see my write up in this Forum's Documents section:  FM_transparency_rev1.pdf

The Publish Pod uses a direct PDF syntax route which is quite different from the postscript > Distiller route.

So, if you need additional pdfmark functionality, use the hints and tricks in the transparency document in order to use the Distiller route.

Hopefully, future releases of FM might incorporate a model (as I've privately suggested to the powers that be) using direct PDF syntax in an analogous frame to a postscript text frame, removing the necessity of using pdfmarks via a postscript route.

Regards,

Arnis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to edit what I posted a minute ago.

To add, Save as PDF preserves the transparency. I did not expect that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines