• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using File > Package (FM 2017 14.04.511)

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click File > Package the resulting ZIP file doesn't contain anything that was outside the FM folder itself.  Is this works-as-designed?  I hope not because we use one consolidated Images folder for the figures we use in all of our documents.  This means that none of my images get packaged.  

TOPICS
Feature request , Publishing , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

The Package feature works - unfortunately - as designed and only packs what is inside the fm folder. The Archive script mentioned elsewhere on this page is absolutely great! Very much recommended and a bargain too!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the package feature doesn't work for you, please take a look at my Archive script at frameexpert dot com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Package feature works - unfortunately - as designed and only packs what is inside the fm folder. The Archive script mentioned elsewhere on this page is absolutely great! Very much recommended and a bargain too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As designed ???

It turns out, that the packager alsways creates a ZIP of all book files, even if i have only 1 file of this book open and will make a package for this one file... [FM-15 aka 2019]

I have tested just now in a new FM session, just opened this one file and packed.

Even if i (temporarily) renamed the book file it found all the stuff and made a huge package.

In another directory, which does not comprise a *.book file, i can 'package' a single file.

Back in the directory with all the book files, I created a MIF from one of the files, removed all statements concernt BookComponent - neverteheless the packager finds all the stuff I do not want to be included...

Have no copied the single file and the sub-dirs requied (graphics) to another drive and tried there:

The ZIP file containsa subdirectory raphics (jes, g is missing) and the file orking-1.mif (the initial w is missing)

A second attempt with first saving the document as *.fm created the same cirppled ZIP (raphics, orking-1.fm)

What the heck is going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it means that this feature does not do what the users want it to do.

Any user who remembers Bruce Forster's Archive utility, is expecting to find this feature now part of Frame's package.

Unfortunately this is not what we are getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the reason why I use Rick Quarto's script ArchiveES, which was created in memory of Bruce.

I just wanted to describe the Package feature in my FrameMaker Compendium - and fell into this mud pit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a related question.

My graphics folder contains some graphics that are no longer in use.

Will the package function help me "clean out" the graphics folder and only leave the images currently in use?

Additionaly, does using zip make any changes in quality to the graphic files?

or to the size of png files?

thanks  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi CarolineTa,

When you compress a file in a zip file, then the file is not altered. You can uncompress it and have the orginal file with the same quality again.

With this package you might collect all FM files with all referenced graphics and then delete the files in the original folder. Then you will have deleted the unused files. However, please make a backup copy, before you test this! I do not use this Package fearture, and I do not know whether this Package feature collects text insets. And when you have a binary file format for your vector drawings, before you save them as EPS or SVG, then these binaries would be lost.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines