• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

using <$monthname> and other building blocks

Advisor ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably ought to know this, but have never run into it before – I want to pull the month and year from the file timestamp for a not-too-fine-grain indication of when the file was last updated. A bit to my surprise, creating a user variable with <Default ¶ Font><$monthname><$year> doesn't work: it just inserts <$monthname<$year as a literal. Hints and tips welcome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used the Modification Date (Long) system variable. Someone asked me last week to add "Revision Date" to the beginning. So I created a user variable this morning and copied the building block definition out of the Modification Date (Long) system variable and added the text in front. The building blocks do not render in a user variable. Looks like a bug, I think I can try this in FM12 if I can find my old machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same behavior in FM12. Maybe these building blocks are only for system variables. I just typed "Revision Date: " in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system variable building blocks do not work in user-defined variables - this has been an issue from day one. You can re-define your system variable(s) to use different combinations of the building blocks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Arnis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines