Highlighted

Using the <$highchoice... variable in a table for revision pages

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am working with a structured parts manual that has the standard graphic figure followed by a table structure that uses XML. One of the elements in the table cells contains an attribute with a change number. These change numbers vary and are carried from previous changes to still show the change bar until a revision is done.

I am using this change number with the high choice building block in a variable on the master page to put the highest change number within that page (as the attachment implies) in the footer. It's working great except for one thing; it puts the highest change number on all pages of the table. It doesn't appear to know where the page breaks. For instance, if the table runs into 3 pages and there is a change 6 on page 2 with a change 2 on page 3, all 3 pages say change 6. Has anyone worked with this variable and have any insight as to how this can be remedied? Is scripting the only answer? I have searched for weeks for any documentation of it other that the dev guide and am finding absolutely. nothing. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Using the <$highchoice... variable in a table for revision pages

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am working with a structured parts manual that has the standard graphic figure followed by a table structure that uses XML. One of the elements in the table cells contains an attribute with a change number. These change numbers vary and are carried from previous changes to still show the change bar until a revision is done.

I am using this change number with the high choice building block in a variable on the master page to put the highest change number within that page (as the attachment implies) in the footer. It's working great except for one thing; it puts the highest change number on all pages of the table. It doesn't appear to know where the page breaks. For instance, if the table runs into 3 pages and there is a change 6 on page 2 with a change 2 on page 3, all 3 pages say change 6. Has anyone worked with this variable and have any insight as to how this can be remedied? Is scripting the only answer? I have searched for weeks for any documentation of it other that the dev guide and am finding absolutely. nothing. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't worked with that system variable, but a few things you might check...

Your change attribute is defined as a Choice Attribute, yes? It would appear that's a requirement based on your screencapture.

1. Similar to table footnote replacement, it sounds like Fm can only consider the position of the table anchor when displaying the attribute value. Are you working with CALS tables? If so, I'd be curious as to whether breaking the table into separate tgroups would remedy the problem.
  2. Can the tables be broken into sections in a "standard" table model? I would imagine not, but this might also remedy your master page issue.

Otherwise, I'd expect you are correct, and that custom scripting or a plugin are the way to get this done.

-Matt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0