• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

vertical text alignment within text frame

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to align texts vertically and horizontally with in a text frame?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks for clarifying, Vinoth:

For that situation, I agree with Bob—add a single cell table (1 row, 1 column, 0 heading rows, 0 footing rows) to the frame. Set up a table style that will remove the visible border and table title and then define a paragraph style with the horizontal alignment set to Center in Paragraph Designer > Basic and the vertical alignment set to Middle in Paragraph Designer > Table Cell Properties.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker doesn't have a way to vertically align text in a text frame like InDesign does. Are you using small text frames for callouts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the layout requirements, approaches include:

• fixed-pitch (constant-width) font and non-breaking spaces
  • setting Tabs
  • borderless tables with lots of columns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinoth:

How to align texts vertically and horizontally with in a text frame?

Horizontal alignment is handled via the Paragraph Designer > Basic properties on a style-by-style basis.Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.15.58 AM.png

Tell us more about your vertical alignment requirements. Are you trying to center-align text vertically within a frame or are you trying to justify multiple lines within a frame, so that the first line is at the top of the frame, the last line is at the bottom and FrameMaker feathers the spacing of all the lines in between? The latter is a feature in FrameMaker using Format > Page Layout > Line Layout > Feather. 

Before enabling feather:

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.23.55 AM.png

After enabling feather:

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.24.31 AM.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

verical_alignment.JPG
 see the above pic. here i can control horizontal alignment by using paragrah designer but my requirement is need to align text vertically like center, bottom. in indesign it is possible so is there any way to do in framemaker??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For infrequent instances, you can use a borderless table cell. FM Tables have support for top/middle/bottom, and you can control cell height.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks bob niland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying, Vinoth:

For that situation, I agree with Bob—add a single cell table (1 row, 1 column, 0 heading rows, 0 footing rows) to the frame. Set up a table style that will remove the visible border and table title and then define a paragraph style with the horizontal alignment set to Center in Paragraph Designer > Basic and the vertical alignment set to Middle in Paragraph Designer > Table Cell Properties.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sometimes I would also need graphics labels which I could align to the top or center of their text frames.

This would greatly reduce my clean-up after translations. Very often translated text is shorter and longer, and I have to rearrange my labels. Vertical alignment would help.

Putting the labels into a table is much too complex.

When you agree, please vote for my feature request:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9274

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted! Thanks for adding the feature request, Winfried.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a smiliar need. I am writing Flight Operations Manuals for NASA, and I numerous pages where I have a graphic of an instrument panel and need to allow multiple call-outs to items int he graphic. Inserting single-cell tables seems more difficult than it should be (compared to other applications out there) and has made some pages erratic int heir display, if I change the Paragraph Design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines