• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warning Triangle Symbol displays without yellow background

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to use the warning triangle symbol as an icon for warnings in my document.  It displays and prints fine, but it doesn't have the yellow background color.  In Frame and in PDF it displays with a clear/transparent background.  In HTML5, though, it displays with the yellow background as it should.

Is there a way to make the triangle display with a yellow background in the PDF as well?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format is the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the symbol, hex 26A0, formatted with Segoe UI Emoji font.  It behaves as a character, not as an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating the yellow background in FM? The font itself wouldn't (edit: might) have a background.

In current versions of FM, there's only about 42 ways to do that, and I'd expect some of them to be sensitive to workflow path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just it...the yellow background displays automatically in HTML5.  I didn't do anything.  But the background is transparent in both Frame and in PDF.  If I try to color the background it colors the whole square space around the triangle, which obvious isn't what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also...if I copy/paste the character from Frame to Word, it displays with the yellow background in Word.  But it's as if Frame doesn't support colored backgrounds for symbols.

Using FM2017 BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't be helpful with the immediate issue, but can I ask in what admonishment context an isolated alert icon is conformant?

Back when my day job included ⚠ DANGER, ⚠ WARNING, CAUTION
the alert icon was never used without the signal word, and the whole string was in a rectangular banner of the safety color.
⚠ The danger string was white on safety-red;
⚠ the warning black on safety-orange; and
□ caution black on safety-yellow with no icon.
FM's automatic Frame-Above ¶feature was perfect for pulling in these panels from a Reference Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the whole issue is about coloured fonts. Only few applications outside the Fancy Graphic Realm (in the technical area) support these - FM also does not. These fonts came to life with the Emoj hype - on the smart phones...

For a first information you may look at https://www.colorfonts.wtf/ This makes you understand, why these fonts first appeared

Supporting color fonts would give an application the opportunity to replace icon images by scalable vector images, because the SVG mechanism must be supported already

Useful information can also be found here: https://help.fontlab.com/fontlab-vi/Color-Glyphs/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update, Klaus. Even the Windows 10 Character Map doesn't show any Segoe UI Emoji glyphs with colors.

So there might be several separate issues here:

1. Does/will FM support Unicode above Plane 0?
    That's where the majority of Emojis are & will be,
    (although U+26A0 WARNING SIGN is not).
  2. Will FM ever support color fonts?
    If so, both the SVG & bitmap implementation?
  3. What is the color management scheme for color fonts?
    If something other than unmanaged RGB, will FM ever support that?
  4. For safety-related icons, does the font foundry use a compliant color?
    Keep in mind that this is impossible for U+26A0, for example,
    as the color depends on the signal word context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines