Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

webworks cannot generate CHM with FrameMaker book files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebWorks throw this warning for each .fm file when generating CHM:

[Warning] Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

and the output is almost an empty chm file without any content inside.

Can someone help on this ?

Webworks ver.: 2016.1

Framemaker ver.: 12

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Hi Jeff,

I finally solved it by reinstalling the epublisher.

I noticed that when I reinstalled, the epublisher tried to connect to FM. It seems trying to get to the FM information on the computer.

I guess before the reinstall, it only have my FM 9 information , so I had that problem.

So I think epublisher needs to be reinstalled once FM upgraded. that 's the case.

Thank you very very much for replying me, happy new year ! here is such a good place for the beginners like me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds a bit like a WebWorks issue not FM; but try to check it out in FM first - is it a .book file? Does it update ok without any warnings? Can you create PDFs out of it without any warnings? Have you tried creating CHMs directly from FM12?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

my WebWorks worked well with Framemaker 9 before.

Now I installed FM12, and I have this warning now.

For your question, yes, it is a .book file. and update OK without warning at FM12. and I can create PDF out of it without warnings at FM, too.

I need create CHM with webworks because I need the stationary from my company for compliance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, have you updated your install of FM12 to the latest patch version? Have you also checked if WebWorks is updated with fixes to handle FM12 version files? Next, you mention that the files worked in FM9 - have you gone through and opened all the "old" files in FM12 to upgrade them? If all have been updated, perhaps doing a MIF-wash on them might clean them up. Another diagnostic technique would be to go through and try making a CHM out of each file individually until it chokes - then you can examine that file in more detail to see what's going on inside it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff,

I finally solved it by reinstalling the epublisher.

I noticed that when I reinstalled, the epublisher tried to connect to FM. It seems trying to get to the FM information on the computer.

I guess before the reinstall, it only have my FM 9 information , so I had that problem.

So I think epublisher needs to be reinstalled once FM upgraded. that 's the case.

Thank you very very much for replying me, happy new year ! here is such a good place for the beginners like me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines