• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weirdness in FM 12 spell checker

Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just upgraded from Framemaker 10 to 12. According to the About screen, I have 12.0.4.445.

Things generally seem to be working as expected, except for one strange anomaly: the spell checker in Frame 12 considers the word "Add" -- capitalized that way, not if it's all lowercase or all uppercase --  to be misspelled. Not only that, but when I click Learn, it responds "You cannot add Add to a dictionary. To add Add to a dictionary, first deselect the corresponding Find setting in the Spelling Checker Options dialog box."

Obviously, none of the conditions in the Spelling Checker Options apply to "Add", but I tried toggling all of them from their (all default) settings anyway to see if it made a difference. It did not. Other than this, the spell checker is not triggering on any common words, or otherwise behaving strangely.

Has anyone encountered an oddity like this with Frame 12? Do I just have a dictionary with an odd corruption? Is there any way to restore the base dictionary without reinstalling the entire application?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

The Hunspell dictionaries are editable text files (.dic) and are located in the \fminit\Linguistics\7.0\plugins2\AdobeHunspellPlugin\Dictionaries  folder of your FM installation. Make a backup and check the english version that you are using with a text editor.

You could also copy the relevant dictionary file from another (working) system/installation.

Note: The dictionary entry format shows the word followed by an optional affix rule (these are case-sensitive letters that are defined in the .aff

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is some control character or other weirdness in there. See if the right arrow key moves the cursor over the word as expected. Or just re-type it, then spell check again.

Restarting FrameMaker and/or Windows might also help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've rebooted and restarted Frame12.

Created a new document using the Blank Paper template. Typed the line "add ADD Add" and spell checked. It stopped on "Add".

So it is persistent, and not a matter of stray invisible characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it on my 12.0.4.445 version & it’s not hitting any issues with “Add” (or its variants).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tested this on 12.0.0.4.445 with nothing unusual about "Add".

You might want to try the alternate Proximity dictionary to see if something is hosed in your (default) Hunspell one [Edit > Preferences > Spelling > Dictionary]

spell_check_dictionaries.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea. Thanks, Arnis.

When I switch to Proximity, the problem disappears. So I guess I have a munged US English Hunspell dictionary? Is it a file that I could just copy from another FM12 installation to my machine to fix this, or do I have to reinstall?

Alternatively, I suppose I could just keep using the Proximity dictionary--is there an effective difference in the two? I just spell-checked a large document with Proximity and it found no problems, but I don't know if that is necessarily a good sign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Hunspell dictionaries are editable text files (.dic) and are located in the \fminit\Linguistics\7.0\plugins2\AdobeHunspellPlugin\Dictionaries  folder of your FM installation. Make a backup and check the english version that you are using with a text editor.

You could also copy the relevant dictionary file from another (working) system/installation.

Note: The dictionary entry format shows the word followed by an optional affix rule (these are case-sensitive letters that are defined in the .aff file). Google "hunspell dictionary format" for more details. The .aff file may also need to be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines