Highlighted

What is CharacterMap.exe process?

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When starting FrameMaker 9, a CharacterMap.exe process is started. After a while, this process starts consuming approx. 50% of my CPU. Even after closing FramekMake, the process continues to run. What is this process for?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What is CharacterMap.exe process?

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When starting FrameMaker 9, a CharacterMap.exe process is started. After a while, this process starts consuming approx. 50% of my CPU. Even after closing FramekMake, the process continues to run. What is this process for?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 19, 2009 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dana,

The CharacterMap process is an add-on unicode entry tool for FM9. I hadn't noticed that it starts up with FM, but you can safely kill the process. It will restart whenever you use the File > Utilities > Character Palette... option.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to disable this from starting, other than renaming or moving the CharacterMap.exe file in the \fminit folder. However, if you need this to enter unicode characters, you'll be out-of-luck.

On my setups, this process does shutdown when FM terminates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2009 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Arnis. For some reason, when I kill the CharacterMap process, the explorer.exe process takes over where CharacterMap left off -- that is, using about 50% of my CPU. Very odd, but I did it three times -- same result. At that point, the system is pretty much unusable.

Anyway, I resolved the issue (at least temporarily) by renaming CharacterMap.exe so FrameMaker can't start it. I haven't noticed any adverse affects yet. I might at some point when using unicode characters.

Thanks for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2009 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dana,

explorer.exe is a Windows system process and should be running.

How much RAM does your machine have and which OS are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2009 0
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

Yeah, I know what explorer.exe is, but I don't understand why it would all of a sudden consume 50% of my CPU after killing the CharacterMap.exe process. It stays at 50% and totally drags down the system.

I'm running XP and have 4GB of memory. However, I am also running a virtual machine that is a real memory and processor hog. It may have something to do with the problem I'm having.

Anyway, CharacterMap is disabled. So unless I run into some unicode character issue, I'm happy.

Regards,

Dana

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently stumbled about this process while FM-15 (2019) is running. Since I have about 90 Background processes and about 90 Windows processes - while 4 apps are running on Win-10 (I switched to Win-10 October 2019) I want to reduce this amount of stuff...

I have now renamed the item to H:\Adobe\FrameMaker.15en\Adobe FrameMaker 2019\fminit\!_CharacterMap.exe and hope that it will not be executed any more.

NOTE: In FM-15 there is no menu item File > Utility > Character Map as it was in previous versions. Hence this is a left over...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
LinSims LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you meant the Character Palette inside FM and not character map, both it and the Hex Input are under the Insert menu now. Insert > Character.

Not that it works for me, anyway.

ETA: Interesting. Charmap.exe isn't even running on my machine, at least not according to the Task Manager. I wonder if the process is being killed somehow, and if so, by what. That might explain why I can't use either the Character Palette or the Hex Input.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0