What is the best way to create a web page from FrameMaker?

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently started working at a company where we use FrameMaker to create our documentation and have been tasked with finding out how to turn the books that we write into web pages. I have tried saving the book files as HTML or XML files and converting the PDFs into HTML and XML. All of these has created a page that has poor formatting and doesn't reflect the original document very well. I have tried to edit the reference pages without any success, and editing via Notepad presented me with a wall of text and code that was unreadable.

Are there any options of better ways to create a web page from FrameMaker whilst keeping the formatting, or at least being able to edit it after without difficulty?

One option I have considered is using Dreamweaver, but as the company does not currently have a copy, I did not want to request it without knowing that it would be useful. Is it possible to take content directly from FrameMaker to Dreamweaver and then use that to format the content?

If you need any more information, please ask, any help would be more than welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newer versions of FM now allow you to create WebHelp and Responsive HTML5 help directly from FM. It’s a “publishing” function that has brought in the guts of the RoboHelp help-creation code that was used in the Technical Communication Suite. Depending on what sort of control you need, using FM directly may suit you fine. If you need more control over how your help is produced, then going the FM to RH route gives you a great deal of tweaking power.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this available in FM12? We haven't yet upgraded to the 2015 release, but this might be a good reason for us to. Also, would you be able to recommend anywhere that could teach me how to do those things?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publishing started to show up in FM11, but has greatly expanded in FM2015. The Tech Comm Team blog describes how to do some of this as well as mentions in the FM forums – check out the FM Integration one too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is using WebWorks ePublisher. It takes FrameMaker documents as input and can generate dynamic HTML (or "Reverb", their own responsive HTML5 layout), with much more formatting options than native FrameMaker.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines