• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the oldest version of FrameMaker that I can use to post directly to an eBook platform?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the oldest version of FrameMaker that will allow me to create an eBook as directly as the newer versions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

The first version to create epub format directly from FM was v.12.

There is a plug-in for older versions from Frank Elmore (creator of Framescript) that will generate epub format from FM. See the following thread for more info: Best methods for creating e-books from FrameMaker 10 (TCS 3.5)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version(s) of what eBook format(s)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob--

I'm just beginning to toy with the idea. All I know is that Amazon has eBooks ... and it seems to be the most popular.

I'd simply like to get a couple of short (20+) page eBooks out there in a fairly short time.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I got hurt and I'm on Disability and the cost for a new version of FrameMaker is high for me.

I see some older versions on eBay... but why buy one if it will not allow me to accomplish my goal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I see some older versions on eBay...

I would be very cautious about buying software on eBay, particularly DRM'd software using vendor activation. You are relying on the seller to provide matching undamaged install media and license key, and that it be an unused license (and that the seller have some way to be sure of that, entirely ignoring any issues of integrity).

I've not created any eBooks myself (other than PDF), and am no expert on it, nor have I even used any version of FM later than 9 (I run 7 at home). Anyone who has such experience will want to know what ebook venues you have in mind.

Have you looked at just using native ebook authoring tools? Some of these might be free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I would be very cautious about buying software on eBay ...

Just taking a quick look, the situation is about as I expected. There are some FM7s that look like they might be unopened remaindered retail.

But I see some newer "Framemakers" that aren't even the FM product (one is a Classroom in a Book).

Many sellers are using stock photos - always a warning sign. One I looked at for FM11 had "UPC: Does not apply" - red flag - FM11 retail package does have a UPC.

For newer FMs, media and license were separate products. You get no hint of that from most sellers.

My advice: run away screaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why I decided not to go into a life of crime.

... I forgot where I was asking the question.

Okay.

So ... can you suggest one or two good "native ebook authoring tools?"

Back when I was using FrameMaker, ebooks didn't even exist.

I used to love working with it. I still have no idea if I could dig out an OLD version of FrameMaker and use it to fluidly post the document to Amazon's Create Space, or if I need to use a friend's computer who has AN OLDER version of FrameMaker on it. If so... could I use her 7.0 version.

If all you're concerned with is licensing, I'll understand it. (Look where I've posted the question for Chrissake!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first version to create epub format directly from FM was v.12.

There is a plug-in for older versions from Frank Elmore (creator of Framescript) that will generate epub format from FM. See the following thread for more info: Best methods for creating e-books from FrameMaker 10 (TCS 3.5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. You provided me with some information I didn't have.

Arnis Gubins ... THANK you.

Surprised it's that simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: If so... could I use her 7.0 version.

If you are tempted to buy one of those FM7.0s on eBay, be sure it will run on your Windows. See this for Win7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines