Highlighted

What program will read FMv12 Structure and spit out XML?

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the role of a DTD, Schema, the strucapps file set, etc.

But I understand Webworks can read structure and simply output the tags with content, as they come up in the document.

We have tons of Inclusions and Exclusions, but they still work. I think WebWorks is not compatible with FMv12.

What is out there that will do this?

Thanks,

Dave

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What program will read FMv12 Structure and spit out XML?

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the role of a DTD, Schema, the strucapps file set, etc.

But I understand Webworks can read structure and simply output the tags with content, as they come up in the document.

We have tons of Inclusions and Exclusions, but they still work. I think WebWorks is not compatible with FMv12.

What is out there that will do this?

Thanks,

Dave

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 06, 2015 0
Mentor ,
Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I can't make any sense of your question. FrameMaker can read and write XML natively. Can you clarify what you want?

Russ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Russ!

I was concerned about that clarity myself. Am not too sure I can fix it now. But here is another try at it.

FM won’t give me XML unless I have DTD, R-W Rules, etc. The entire structapps file set.

I can create that, but we have inclusions and exclusions (leftover from SGML days) we cannot lose. So, I think what I need is a way to “read out” the document, from “top of structure to bottom”, writing elements and attributes to the text file as they come up in structure.

That is, no DTD or R-W rules required at all. Simply “list out the document”.

I thought that's what WebWorks does. As I write this reply, I am trying to contact another guru that knows that side of the house here.

Thanks,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2015 0
Mentor ,
Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

OK, thanks for the extra info. With that, I'm not clear on what inclusions and exclusions really have to do with the issue... this a DTD general rule thing that should not matter with a basic XML save. Did you try a save-as-XML with no application? Usually you should at least get the basic XML markup with that.

As far as WebWorks, I haven't used a Quadralay product in some time. I don't know that it can do that.

If you just want to walk through a tree and write out the markup, a reasonably short ExtendScript could do that.

Russ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russ,

I certainly could not educate you, so maybe it is ME that does not understand something here. For incls and excls, the DTD would make an element available at the HLE, allowing it anywhere in the document. Or at some other level down in structure. I understand XML does not recognize this.

When I Save As XML with no App, I get a laundry list of errors and "Parsing aborted" issues.

I like the scripting idea and will work from that direction!

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2015 0
Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

this might be an interesting read-up for you: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/98/07/dtd/

Basically it states, that the transition from a SGML DTD to XML might give you some headakes, since especially the includes and excludes aren't that easy to translate between the two.

As Russ already stated - a simple Save as XML with no app should at least produce a XML file that includes a DTD up front directly embedded in the XML file (did the same thing just last week).

I think you might need to resolve some structural issues in the document itself, before this works out - such as opening the rules for includes and excludes where XML simply won't accept it.

-Alex

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2015 0
DrDaveJ LATEST
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

Thanks. Interesting information at that link, for sure.

As for  ' . . . . opening the rules for includes and excludes where XML simply won't accept it . . . .".

I think what you're saying is something I actually tried, long ago. That is, writing the EDD so Inclusions and Exclusions, set at HLE, would actually occur in General Rules throughout the structure. This was a nightmare, and quickly abandoned!

So, what I'm trying to get to is; consider a document that is constructed in FM, based on an EDD that uses Inclusions and Exclusions. Seems to me, no matter how an element was allowed into the file, when I export, a process could simply read the presence of the [included/excluded] element and write it to the output file, right in place where it occurs in the .fm file.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply. If they let me at it here, I will try the scripting idea.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2015 0