• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What "Markers" are you creating for S1000D compliance?

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What data markers are you using for S1000D compliance using FrameMaker 2017?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Hi Rhonda,

This is a difficult question to answer as I don't really understand the way you have phrased the question. What sort of 'markers' are you referring to? At the XML level we have a set of S1000D schemas or DTDs. At the project level we would be dealing with S1000D business rules. An S1000D project is compliant if the deliverables are valid to the correct schemas and all project business rules. Of course the technical content must be fit-for-purpose too which will mean proper compliance w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rhonda,

This is a difficult question to answer as I don't really understand the way you have phrased the question. What sort of 'markers' are you referring to? At the XML level we have a set of S1000D schemas or DTDs. At the project level we would be dealing with S1000D business rules. An S1000D project is compliant if the deliverables are valid to the correct schemas and all project business rules. Of course the technical content must be fit-for-purpose too which will mean proper compliance with the project's quality assurance procedures.

In the latest version of the specification there are 522 Business Rule Decision Points defined. You could consider each BRDP a compliance marker...

S1000D compliance is the same regardless of the FrameMaker version you are using.

Regards

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Ian, I mis spoke. I really want Frame Maker to be the “master electronic file” so that I can deliver both PDF and XML to the customer. I wanted to put a “marker” in the .fm version so that I can tag all of the maintenance steps that are CDCCL and ALI. I thought it would be helpful to “mark” the wiring in locations that require EWIS.

The “business Rules Decision Points” are handy dandy for getting all of the parties involved on the same page to create the documents, but after the files have been delivered, I’m thinking of how the data can be mined.

Any suggestions?

Rhonda

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see what you mean. But I wonder why you would want FrameMaker to be the master electronic file in an XML based process? However it is quite possible to work that way if you wish. In any case you could look at using the 'DOC PI' FrameMaker marker type that maps to an XML Processing Instruction (PI). That means you can see the same maker data in FrameMaker and the XML data modules.

It may be that the DOC PI marker type is not shown in your list of markers. If that is the case you can select the Edit... item from the list of Marker types in the Marker pod. Then rename 'CustomMarkerType' to 'DOC PI'.

I hope that's closer to what you were looking for?

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thank you

Because the contract says deliver Both. PDF and XML

What other reason could there be?

Rhonda

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reason is simple Rhonda. XML is the master in a typical S1000D project. The FrameMaker document is a temporary file that is created when the XML is opened and then discarded when the XML is saved.

FrameMaker provides an excellent editing and publishing environment, but it is also a proprietary format. In your workflow you effectively have two masters for each document. Just my view from an S1000D perspective.

By the way if my previous message answered your question could you mark it as correct please?

Regards

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines