• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's happening here to these crazy columns?

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this table sitting in a page with 3 columns on the page, and the table goes across all three rows,  But, the table does not line up at the top of all three columns.  I wonder what on earth I can do to make that level, as it looks like complete poo.

There's a text box above that area but not connected to the flow, I resized the column area and added a text box above, nothing fancy.

offset columns.jpg

Trippy, no?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Paragraph needs neg space Below Para, not Above Para as you show it.

Table format needs neg Space: Above:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual hack is the that the line of anchoring text needs to have a negative Space Below (equal to the line spacing), and the table format needs to have a matching negative Space Above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.  I cannot get that to work!

The text frames are connected, I just assured that.

I don't think there is another program in my entire arsenal that gives me as much trouble as FrameMaker!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the settings are for each:

cell.png

paragraph.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph needs neg space Below Para, not Above Para as you show it.

Table format needs neg Space: Above:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BOB!  It WORKED! 

You rock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear it worked. Some additional muttering...

It usually doesn't occur to people to try this, because they don't expect negative sizes in FM dialogs to even be accepted, much less work. And indeed, in most case they don't work. Even in this case, two separate objects have to have the same bookend negspace, or it doesn't work. Way far from intuitive.

The table start is now going to be sitting on top of the text line containing the anchor. This is a stewardship hassle. I use a specific para tag for this, e.g. TableAnchor.Hidden. Typically, its font would have a named color, say, "Metadata", so that it's easy to see during edit, but Color Views can make it invisible in publication view modes. It would also have an autonumber that was just text (e.g. "TableAnchor.Hidden:\ "), so that it would be easier to see and select if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines