• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I generate the TOC from a new .book, I get blank pages between each page of the TOC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With FrameMaker 2015. When I generate the TOC from a new .book, I get blank pages between each page of the TOC, They are completely blank not even a text frame. I click Add> Create standalone TOC. I keep the default settings. And this is what I end up with.

TOC Frame 2015 small.png

I can get rid of them through Special> Delete Pages. But I never had to do that before the 2015 version. I have tried with older files that generated fine in Frame 10; same thing. Has anyone encountered this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Master Pages are part of each document.

You can import master pages from another document (i.e. a "template") into your current document using the File > Import > Formats... option and select Page Layouts from the list (Deselect all others).

If you've edited the current TOC to address the Left Master Page issue, then simply save the file as is and use the Edit > Update Book option to have the TOC re-generated using the new page designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the TOC file's pagination set to (single or double)?

What's defined on the Left Master Page (i.e. is it blank)? You can also check to see which Master page is being applied to the blanks by selecting any blank page and then using the Format > Page Layout > Master Page Usage... menu option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do any of the xxxTOC paratags happen to have Top of … Page set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. No, the TOC paragraph Styles have not been defined yet.

Esther

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

The pagination is set to Double side. 1st Page Side is set to Read from File. Should I set it to Right?

Of the screen capture I sent, for Page Layout> Master Page Usage I have:

1st page = Right/Left (this page is a right one so that is fine)

2nd page = Right/Left

3rd page = Custom, Right

4th page = Right/Left

If one of these settings needs to be changed how do I go about it. Because all these settings I find after the fact. I have to generate de TOC first. I don’t know how to preset the TOC.

Regards,

Esthre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Master Page design for the Left page - it's probably blank.

Once you've generated a TOC file, you can edit  it to create the layiout that you want. Then just update the TOC to properly populate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a master page. But I don’t know how to save it somewhere to make it available when creating a TOC. Is this how-to in the FM 2015 user manual?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master Pages are part of each document.

You can import master pages from another document (i.e. a "template") into your current document using the File > Import > Formats... option and select Page Layouts from the list (Deselect all others).

If you've edited the current TOC to address the Left Master Page issue, then simply save the file as is and use the Edit > Update Book option to have the TOC re-generated using the new page designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I might try that. However it does not really solve the problem because I am a freelance writer and each customer has its own template. So I will stick to deleting the useless pages. It is as fast as the import. I still don't understand how the useless pages are being created though. Well case closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. No, the TOC paragraph Styles have not been defined yet.

Esther

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines