• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When is the FM-window ready to receive key strokes?

Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends and experts,

Since many years I create utilities with AutoHotKey (AHK) which send keystrokes to applications. This is very simple for all application but FM > 8.

To just send to the current window the command is

Send {ESC}id

If I want to insert a longer text, this is first put into the paste buffer and then sent with ^v

To target a specific window the window is activated with reference to the window title:

WinActivate, Adobe FrameMaker
Send,  {ESC}id   ; Focus indocument

This works until FM-8, but not with the later versions using the 'new interface'.

Although AHK still regcognises a window title (Adobe FrameMaker), this can not be used. Also the statement

WinActivate AHK_EXE FrameMaker.exe

activates something, but it is not the main window. It turns out to activate the last opened sub-window, in my case the graphic toolbar.

Then I try

WinActivate ahk_class FrameFamily15.MdiFrame

This has the same effect, although I see that the window is activated. Using CTRL+f opens the Find/Change pane and brings the window in a perceptive state. Further AHK activations work as expected.

Finally I do the following to be able to work right from the beginning when FM was opened and a document is active with the cursor at a position to work from:

fmVersion := "15"                       ; 10 … 16
If !WinExist("ahk_class FrameFamily" . fmVersion . ".MdiFrame") {
  MsgBox, 48, Error, FrameMaker window was not found. Exiting.
  ExitApp
} Else WinActivate
WinGetPos,,, width
MouseClick,, width - 350, 10
SendKeyStrokes("Where are we?")

This sends to text to the current location.

The mouse moves to a position left to the icons top right in the FM window and clicks.

Only this way I am completely free what I do next.

Side note

As I complained elsewhere more than once, there is no easily recognisable indication, that the window is active by the title bar colouring. There is only a light difference in gray level of the top right icon area:

From Snag_433dde.png

to Snag_441419.png

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?