• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When we do HTML5 from FrameMaker, the hypertext links don't work

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we do HTML5 from FrameMaker, the hypertext links don't work. When we do Frame to PDF and then from PDF to HTML5, the hypertext links work. Is this something that is covered in the training or how do we get the hypertext links to work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

RECAP: bluegiraffe24​, the hypertext markers you were using are great for opening files from within FrameMaker, but not usable for HTML5. In fact, I'm surprised they survived the PDF process.

A cross-reference is a faster, more accurate, updatable method of entering the text and the needed link. You'll want to replace all of your "open file" hypertext markers with cross-references, and you can use the Find/Change dialog to quickly find each instance of the "open file" markers and then insert the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I branched you off into a new discussion because now you're getting into specifics of the FM Publish to HTML5 route.

Your hyperlinks should work fine when sent to HTML5 - if you look at the resulting non-functioning link in the HTML output, is there anything that gives you an idea of why they aren't working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hypertext is applied to document filenames listed in a table. The table and text looks fine to me in HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of a misbehaving link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018-06-29_11-06-46.png

Each item in the table is a hypertext link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great - now how about a shot of the actual HTML for the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018-06-29_12-59-16.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, those aren't links alright! How are they defined in the FM source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the Open Document command to create these and all of the links work in the PDF.

2018-06-29_13-24-48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replace the text and Hyperlink marker with a cross-reference and you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The marker text Jeff's asking for will help us understand if it's an internal link, www link, or link to a disconnected document.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is in the Marker pod when you highlight one of those bolded T characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marker type: hypertext

Marker text: openlink 0-1086-6512 Blade Change.fm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so if those are links to the current doc or to a doc within a FrameMaker book, a cross-reference would be an easier (and more predictable) way to create and display that link. Plus, changes to title and location will stay up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are all links to other docs that provide related information in the FrameMaker book. We tag them as RD-Ref Docs. I use a list of paragraphs and choose RD-Ref Docs tag to get a list of all of those types of docs we need to add to the manual.

Is there a way to use cross-references without getting rid of the current content? I need the tagged filenames of the documents so I can generate my list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you have me curious...do you have 5 minutes to show me via online meeting? Then I can give you a better recommendation and provide a recap here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating HTML5 from the PDF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PDF, were doing File -->Export to-->HTML web page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...didn't know that was an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Acrobat Pro DC. not sure if it's a new feature or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RECAP: bluegiraffe24​, the hypertext markers you were using are great for opening files from within FrameMaker, but not usable for HTML5. In fact, I'm surprised they survived the PDF process.

A cross-reference is a faster, more accurate, updatable method of entering the text and the needed link. You'll want to replace all of your "open file" hypertext markers with cross-references, and you can use the Find/Change dialog to quickly find each instance of the "open file" markers and then insert the more appropriate cross-reference.

**I love that we'd run into each other at this year's STC Summit in FL...great catching up with you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines