• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Preview Final get disabled after a single edit?

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 2020, DITA 1.3.

We have just recently started using FM2020. In order to review my colleague's edits in a large document (i.e. large DITAMAP with 100s of DITA files), we use Track Text Edits. Occasionally, it is far easier to read a paragraph with all of the tracked changes hidden (i.e. Preview Final). However, if I make a single edit in Preview Final mode, FM will auto-switch back to Preview Off (i.e. showing all of the tracked changes). I find this behaviour very frustrating, because I sometimes need to make edits in Preview Final mode, but I still want the edits to be tracked. 

In our DITAMAP, it takes 1-2 min to switch modes, so turning Preview Final mode on/off is not fun.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to keep Preview Final mode on while editing?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ian16B7  

I understand your concern but it is not recommended to edit file while previewing it.
You can preview off a single file also instead of preview on/off on the whole ditmap if it takes time to switch.

pulkitn_1-1613623461394.png

Ref: 

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/using-framemaker/user-guide/WS19536AB6-D292-43ab-8A1B-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pulkit,

Thank you very much for this info. I had not noticed this scope list (at the very left of the Track Text Edits toolbar) yet, although I use Track Text Edits very often.

When I activate or deactivate Track Text Edits in a book, this takes maybe 10 seconds. Still I do not like it. Now I can change this only for the active file. Very good.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Pultkin,

Thank you for the quick response and link to that webpage.

While I understand that this is how Adobe FM has been designed to be used, I am at a loss to understand why this forced workflow is decided upon. This lack of ability to edit while in Preview Final mode, and your suggested work-around, has a large impact on usabilty. In other words, I cannot do my job efficiently. 

While I can appreciate that there might be some use-case scenarios in which having it auto-switch back would be helpful, it is not helpful to me.

Adobe FM users - does anyone else find this auto-switching behaviour frustrating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines