Ever since I upgraded FM 2017 to 188.8.131.520 in early December, 2017, the keyword Index search capability no longer works in my Responsive HTML5 output (an online Help system). If you type in the search bar of the Index, nothing happens. Previously, the Index would immediately start offering keywords starting with the string that was input. I did not change anything in my settings files. Any idea why the keyword Index search no longer works?
I haven't checked this, but please post to adobe.com/go/wish
I am experiencing this as well with FM 184.108.40.2060, and if it worked before, this is definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.
Raise a bug report to get it on Adobe's radar - piling on with "me too" in the forums doesn't get anything fixed.
I did file a bug report at adobe.com/go/wish as instructed on January 11th, on the same day I posted my original question here on the forum. So, with great hope, it is on Adobe's "radar" already and will be fixed.
Due to some inherent code change, it's mandatory to pick the latest layouts provided in FrameMaker (2017 release), Update 3.
In case you have some customizations on the older layout, you need to redo it.
In the Tracker, the case has meanwhile been tagged as 'Working as Designed'. 'Working as Designed' obviously means: Applying this patch renders all existing template customizations unusable (without any advance warning) and it is up to the user to do all the customizing again in order to get a help system with a working index keyword search.
Definitely not my expectation of how a patch should work.