• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why for structured FM file I get FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NO?

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have got a structured FM file which is exported from dita topic and has exactly the same structure as of dita-topic. When I query (FrameMaker 2017 & 2019.)

IntT isXmlWellFormed = F_ApiGetInt(FV_SessionId, document_Id, FP_XmlWellFormed);

I expect to get zero but I got 2 (FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NO).

As per my understanding of the FDK documentation

* '0' means it's a FM file and

* FV_XML_WELLFORMED_YES/FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NO mean it's a xml file.

Is it a bug with FrameMaker or am I missing anything here?

Thanks,

Paresh

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Hi Russ,

This is a good point that if xml is not well-formed it can't loaded. I guess we can safely assume if we get FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NO that implies it is FM document.

Do you know if we can identify document is FM document or not, instead of checking for XML? One way I can think of is hook the FA_Note_PostOpenXML and note the file type but that will be my last resort.

What I want to achieve is special processing of content based on the type of file - like inserting processing instruction tag or M

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paresh,

Interesting question. I don't know the answer. But I did observe the following in the FDK2019 manual:

FP_XmlWellFormed

Indicates whether the source

XML qualified as well formed. Can

be one of:

- FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NA

- FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NO

- FV_XML_WELLFORMED_YES

I actually have no idea what any of that means. But here are some observations... it is listed as a book property, whereas you are querying a document object. Maybe it isn't relevant to a document, whatever it means.

I really can't understand the relevance of this property at all. Once a file is loaded in FM, you can't tell where it came from, whether XML, binary, or otherwise. You could look at the file extension, but that doesn't mandate anything. And, if XML is not well-formed, it can't be loaded to begin with.

What exactly did you want to accomplish by querying this property?

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ,

This is a good point that if xml is not well-formed it can't loaded. I guess we can safely assume if we get FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NO that implies it is FM document.

Do you know if we can identify document is FM document or not, instead of checking for XML? One way I can think of is hook the FA_Note_PostOpenXML and note the file type but that will be my last resort.

What I want to achieve is special processing of content based on the type of file - like inserting processing instruction tag or MarkerText.

Thanks,

Paresh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paresh,

In my experience, once a file is loaded into FrameMaker, it assumes the binary object model that is common to all documents. That is, all documents look the same once loaded.

I'm assuming that you want to know the source format, as it lives on the disk or whatever. Is the file extension unreliable? FM maintains the original extension of the file after a load. Couldn't you just look for .xml or whatever?

Your last resort doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, if all else fails.

By the way, the insertion of a PI is not really something you can do to a file that is loaded in the interface. I think you would need to do that on export with an import/export client.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if this was related to the state of an XML document when using XML view? However that seems not to be the case, it always reports the same value of 2 (FV_XML_WELLFORMED_NO) regardless of the state of the WYSIWYG view, XML view, or the source XML.

I checked this using ExtendScript where there are equivalent XmlWellFormed properties for book and document.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I decided to go with hook the FA_Note_PostOpenXML. There is no better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines