• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is FrameMaker 2015 Structured cropping top and bottom of images in PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened an existing book file today to update and print a new PDF. When the PDF was done, many of the imported artwork images were cut off at the top and bottom of the image.

To check if my copy of FM was corrupted or settings were wrong, I had another person attempt creating the same PDF. His copy also cut the tops and bottoms of the images.

These are functioned correctly a couple of months ago. Only a few editing changes were made to the book. I have even attempted creating a PDF of the single chapter file with the same cut-off results.

Has anyone run into this or know of a solution?  We obviously can't send these to the customer.

This is FM version 13.0.3.495.

First image is screen shot of FM file. It appeared like this in the old PDF also (gray square is mine to cover company info). The second image shows the top and bottom cut off in the PDF. This is occurring in several files and books and on other people's computers, not just mine.

Thanks.

FrameMaker_2015_cutting_image_01c.png FrameMaker_2015_cutting_image_02c.png

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the PDF from FM and which joboptions file was used?

Does the imported graphic convert properly to a PDF on its own, i.e. use Acrobat to turn the graphic file into a PDF?

Are there any spurious objects on the FM page? Try a ctrl+A to select all objects on the page.

Note: there are two additional patch levels available for your version of FM. Install these and see if the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the File > Save as PDF ... command as always. The job option was left at Standard as always. This document has been created as a PDF several times before without this issue, the latest being in August with FM 11. All images were imported and created in the PDF correctly. However, this time is with Adobe FM 2015.

This is happening on several other machines with FM 2015, as they were just installed in the last couple of months.

I downloaded AdobeFramemaker_13_0_4_upd and AdobeFramemaker_13_0_5_upd from Adobe's support page, which was not an easy path to find, and tried to install, but they will not install. I checked with my IT support as to why they would not, but using administrator rights still doesn't let these install.

Since FM 2015 is supposedly through the Cloud, why aren't updates announced or installed through there? This version of FM was just installed in September and should have updated to the latest.

I started over with the patch download and install to clear out anything wrong with before. I am now getting an error that Adobe Application Manager may be damaged and to download a new copy. However, the link in the error message doesn't take me to download AAM. It goes to download Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get an error message about not having sufficient rights to install the update or if the "Updates..." option is greyed out in your FM's Help menu, you may have to edit the following permissions file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0\AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

It's an XML file and you can use any text editor.

The following line should have a value of "0", so that updating is NOT suppressed.

<Suppressed>0</Suppressed>   

You should then use the Updates... option in FM to get the AAM updater to run (instead of the CC version).   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the help. The updates didn't help unfortunately. What I did find was that if I rotated the image inside FrameMaker, the PDF chopped the top and bottom. (Bring a horizontal image, use Graphics>Rotate to rotate it vertical.) As such, I rotated images outside of FM in a photo editor. This workaround stopped most but a couple still chopped.

Our IT support decided that FrameMaker may be trying to use our corporate PDFCreater program rather than Adobe Acrobat which we use in this department. As such, using File>Save as PDF... may be calling PDFCreator. Based on that, we discovered another workaround:

- Use File>Print>Print to File and print a PostScript file using Adobe PDF as the printer.

- Open the PS file with Acrobat Distiller.

PDF now prints the entire image most of the time. Some large images still have to be removed and then an image rotated in a photo editor and imported.

So my next question is where in the various configuration files would the setting for File>Save as PDF... be so I can check if it is calling PDFCreator or Adobe Acrobat?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same issue with unstructured FM 2015 and imported PDFs. It does not happen in FM 12 (which is not being used for production).

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I am having a similar issue in Framemaker 2015 (latest patch) with graphics being "chopped" at the bottom.

The issue is inconsistent, but something definitely happens to the graphics imported by reference.

I am using Save as PDF option and Acrobat.

Using hard drive  (no network drives).

If anyone finds a resolution to the issue, please, share.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you rotating the graphics that get chopped in FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not rotating anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the complete PDF preview image visible in FM prior to creating the PDF? Could you please provide as much detail as possible - perhaps include a screenshot showing exactly what/how much is getting cut-off [i.e. comparison of FM vs PDF of the same graphic/page].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis, a client of mine is having the same issue (I'd commented above). Issue looks very much like the samples in the original question. In "my" case it's imported PDFs (has to be - these are forms that are inserted into a publication from a 3rd party), but they need the running headers/footers in the publication. I cannot duplicate it in previous versions of FM (11 and 12), so it seems to be specific to 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which output route (SaveAsPDF - RGB or CMYK option; Print to PDF; Print to .ps & distill) is being used for this? There are some differences in what happens during the postscript generation and if any post-processing of the postscipt prior to distilling happens.

[I'm currently away and can't test any of this].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using FrameMaker Version (14.0.3.500) and I'm facing the same issue, graphics get chopped off up and down when rotated after inserting. Can anyone help me, if the solution is found.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since that's an old version, I think it's highly unlikely that it would have been patched with a fix, but try updating first to see if your point version changes. If there's no updates available, then I suggest getting a trial copy of FM2020, update it & try a copy of your content out in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines